Help with print head removal on Canon MX 870 multifunction machine

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have had print quality issues with he MX 870 and one of the remedial suggestions was to remove the print head and reseat it. However, unlike my previous Canon printers the locking bar is configured differently and seems to resist lifting and does not appear to release to allow removal of the print head. I was reluctant to put too much lifting force for fear of breaking something The manual cautions users not to attempt to remove the print head following it initial installation. Not sure if this is proprietary BS or will tampering with the locking mechanism cause damage.

Have any MX 870 users tried to removed the print head? Would appreciate any input.

Frank

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is really easy if i understand what you mean.Remove all cartridges and then lift that gray thing ,it doesnt require too much strength.Then you can remove the printhead,try rotating a bit up /down.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: fdm2000

Information: Since Sept. 2010 I have had a total of four (4) MX870 printers. I still have three (3) of the four (4). Of the three (3) I am using two (2) printers on a daily basis.

It looks like you have two problems:

1. Help with print head removal on Canon MX870 multifunction machine
2. Need help with MX870 print quality

I will be making a number of assumptions. Please inform me where I am wrong.

I am assuming the two problems are for the same printer and not two printers. Yes? No?

I am assuming the print quality problem was first and the print head removal problem came afterwards. Yes? No?

To install the print head please refer to the Getting Started-Read Me First manual for your MX870. On page 14 of the manual there are detailed instructions on how to install the print head. Even though I have removed/installed the print head a number of times for various reasons I still go to page 14 of the manual to make sure that I am doing it correctly. I suggest you do the same.

Note: There should be no problem in removing/installing the print head IF done correctly. You can do this as many times as you like IF you do it correctly.

If you do not have the manual you can go to the Canon site and download a copy of the manual. I suggest you do so post haste!!!!!!

Please answer the following questions.

1. Did you buy the printer new, used, refurbished, etc.?

2. Where did you buy the printer? If you bought the printer at Costco (like I did) you can return the printer to Costco and get your money back or get a new printer. You can do this even if the printer is out of warranty. It is good to buy from Costco.

3. Did the printer already have the print head installed or did you install the print head yourself. If you installed the print head you should have removed the print head from its sealed pouch. Yes? No? If the print head was not in its sealed pouch then it is possible the print head was compromised (i.e. defective maybe?).

Note: I realize that I am being very anal here with all these questions, but when you have a print head that cannot be removed you have a very strange incident. The strangeness causes me to ask a lot of very anal questions.

4. When did you start having print quality problems? Did you have the problem right after you installed (assuming you installed the print head) the print head or sometime afterwards? If the print head was not installed correctly you would have gotten all sorts of warnings on your computer. Or no warnings at all. The printer would not have worked from the start. Dead in the water. If the printer did start and give you some print outs then I can assume that the print head was installed correctly. If this is so the lock lever was placed down correctly. And thus, there should be no reason for you not to be able to lift the lock lever and remove the print head. If you cannot lift up the lock lever (without undue force) then I suggest you return the printer.

Here are my recommendations to install/remove a print head in the future:

Note: I have not experienced this problem so I cannot give you detailed advice to remove the stuck lever/printhead.

1. Good lighting. You cannot work in the dark. You have to see what you are doing.

2. Every time you remove/install the print head refer to page 14 of the manual (see above).

3. Be gentle. There is NO NEED for using force when working on a printer. There is no need to use force in placing the print head. The print head should be placed with no trouble.

4. Do not let the lock lever fall by itself. By hand gently lower the lever. You do this after you know that the print head is seated correctly.

5. Lower the top after you have made sure the lever and print head are where they should be.

6. There should be reason to use force to lift-up the lock lever. You may be able to use force to left-up the lever, but I would not use the printer afterwards. You should replace the printer. Only bad things can happen if you need to use force to left-up the lever.

7. Call Canon for help.

Until you can resolve the print head removal problem the print quality problem is moot. With that said here are my recommendations to remedy the print quality problem:

Note: I know that you have done or have tried to do the follow.

1. We need to see a nozzle test. When we see the nozzle test we can have a better idea on what you can do to fix the problem. Even with a nozzle test it is a shot in the dark, but without a test the people on this forum cannot begin to help you.

2. Perform a manual head alignment. Do not do this if people on the forum say not to. If they say it is O.K. to do the manual head alignment I suggest you get a second pair of eyes to help with the alignment. Compare notes so the both of you are in agreement on what number to pick on the manual head alignment printout/screen.

3. Call Canon for help. The person you are talking to is reading from a prepared script, but do what the person says anyway. It may help. If nothing works ask for a new printer even if the printer is no longer under warranty. If Canon gives you another printer it will not be new. It will be refurbished.

Good luck!

Thank you.

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank your for the detailed response Joseph. I will answer your questions in order from you message:
I am assuming the two problems are for the same printer and not two printers. Ans- Yes one printer.

I am assuming the print quality problem was first and the print head removal problem came afterwards. Ans- Yes the print quality issue has somewhat resolved following suggestions from other forum members and from Canon support. But I still wanted to remove and reseat the printer head and also for future reference should I need to clean the print head.

To install the print head please refer to the Getting Started-Read Me First manual for your MX870. On page 14 of the manual there are detailed instructions on how to install the print head Ans- Yes I have the manual in my printer HDD folder and will be sure to read the instructions again before attempting the removal.

1. Did you buy the printer new, used, refurbished, etc.? Ans-Purchased the printer last January new.

2. Where did you buy the printer? Ans-Purchased online from B&H which had the best price at that time after researching prices at several online and box retailers.

Did the printer already have the print head installed or did you install the print head yourself. If you installed the print head you should have removed the print head from its sealed pouch. Ans-I installed the print head and it was in a sealed wrap.

4. When did you start having print quality problems? Ans- Just over a week ago - up until then the printer worked flawlessly from last January.

Did you have the problem right after you installed (assuming you installed the print head) the print head or sometime afterwards? If the printer did start and give you some print outs then I can assume that the print head was installed correctly. Ans- Yes it was apparently installed correctly.

If this is so the lock lever was placed down correctly. And thus, there should be no reason for you not to be able to lift the lock lever and remove the print head. If you cannot lift up the lock lever (without undue force) then I suggest you return the printer. Ans- Not sure just what constitutes undue force but will give it another try. When the lock lever did not lift easily I began to wonder if there might be an additional unlocking device to allow the lever to be raised?

Note: I know that you have done or have tried to do the follow.

1. We need to see a nozzle test. When we see the nozzle test we can have a better idea on what you can do to fix the problem. Even with a nozzle test it is a shot in the dark, but without a test the people on this forum cannot begin to help you.
Ans- I did send a print of the nozzle check and other forum members thought it looked reasonably good.

2. Perform a manual head alignment. Do not do this if people on the forum say not to. If they say it is O.K. to do the manual head alignment I suggest you get a second pair of eyes to help with the alignment. Compare notes so the both of you are in agreement on what number to pick on the manual head alignment printout/screen. Ans- I did an alignment and after several deep cleanings it looked satisfactory.

3. Call Canon for help. The person you are talking to is reading from a prepared script, but do what the person says anyway. It may help. Ans-I did get a response from Canon support and their recommendation was to do 2 deep cleanings followed by a nozzle check and then wait 24 hours and perform another deep clean. This has improved the print quality considerably - enough to satisfy my needs.
Good luck!

Many thanks again for your interest and assistance,

Frank

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: fdm2000

Thank you for your quick reply/answers.

From your post here is how I see it:

Your problems are with one printer.

You purchased a new printer in Jan 2011 from B&H

You installed the print head that was in its sealed pouch.

You had no problem with making prints until recently.

You may have resolved the print quality problem, but you now have a problem in removing/installing the print head.

Having a problem in removing/installing the print head is very odd indeed!!!

The following are some possible reasons for not being able to remove/install the
print head:

1. Somehow you installed a cart(s) in a wrong manner. This would be next to impossible. There are standouts on the back of each cart that match openings in the print head. You could have placed a cart in the wrong slot, but you would have to force the cart into position. I do not think this is the reason for the problem with the print head.

2. Somehow you damaged the lever. I have removed the print head and lowered the lid without first lowering the lever. The lid lowered the lever with no damaged to the lever!!!!! You could have done something to damage the lever, but I doubt it.

3. You have a defective printer. I think that is what you have. Return the printer if you cannot lift the lever without undue force (i.e. when you lift the lever you lift the printer at the same time).

I suggest you can call Canon for help. It is still under warranty so you can get a refurbished unit.

If you successfully resolve the print head problem please let us know how you did it. I can use the information if have the same problem in the future.

Thank you.

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Joseph,

I haven't yet read the user manual regarding print head installation, but hope to have time tomorrow and will again try removing the print head. I will apply a little more lift force, but certainly not enough to raise the printer off the stand.

Will let the forum know the outcome.

Frank

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Parhs and Joseph for your assistance. After reading your posts, I gained some confidence and applied a little more force to the gray unlocking bar and it finally released.
As mentioned I was somewhat reluctant after the first attempt failed and the manual cautioned against removing the print head. Now print head cleaning is possible should it be necessary.

Frank