[Help needed] Canon MP160 (brand new) or Canon MP 110 (used 1 yr) ?

Durdy_moped

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello gentz :D ,
was surfing i-net and found ur forum, veri nice i gotta say.

So here is the issue, I've decided to buy All-in-one Canon printer, and gotta to choose between
1. Canon MP160 (Brand new)
2. Canon MP110 (second hand, 1 year)

What I found is MP110 scanner is better, and MP160 prints faster. I dun mind the difference. I'm an occasional user, dun plan to print tons of books, neither photos and stuff. One thing that do concerns me is the catridge cost, refillability and life. I need easy refill, cheap and long. Other thing is, Is it better to have the print head integrated on the cartridge or without (like BCI-21/24) ? Meaning ones the printhead is dead on MP110, will it be a problem to change it ? coz on MP160 u juz change the cartridge with the printhead.
Any help is mostly appreciated. Open for comments.
thnx in advance. cheerz

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The cartridges with a built in print heads are very costly because they hold less ink, you have to change them whenever any one of the colors runs out, and you're paying for the print head each time you replace. They are also not as easy to refill successfully and you have to do it more often.

I recommend you get a used MP780 on eBay. It's an all-in-one with five separate cartridges that are easy to refill. You could also go with a new Canon all-in-one which has similar cartridges that are just as easy to refill, but they have smart chips in them that detect that you are refilling and they shut off their ink level sensors so you never know when it's time to refill.

Durdy_moped

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thnx dude, but MP780 is out of my price range.
The 2 i mentioned above are offered at the same price, n i can afford it.
So if u could suggest me one of these 2 to buy.
regards.

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
What are your experiences of British Jet Tec ink for Canon 560 or similar printers?Faderesistance and saturation for instance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Did you price the cost of new or used cartridges for these two printers? Think about replacing them every three months and add that into the cost of the printer after one year. Can you afford that?

But if you still want to choose between just these two printers and the cartridge cost doesn't sway you one way or the other, see if you can find a replacement print head for the MP110. I cannot locate information on that printer here in the USA because it is a UK printer. I don't even know if the head is replaceable. If it is replaceable, you will probably find the cost of a the print head is just a little less than the cost of the printer.

My guess is that if you buy one of these printers, you will probably end up buying another printer that is cheaper on the ink, so buy the one that has the better scanner, the MP110. At least you can still use the scanner when the print head gets clogged or you get tired of paying high prices for ink. Then you can buy a cheap printer that doesn't have a scanner.