Help identifying Canon MP530 print problem

gilly2

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP530
Hi. I am looking for some assistance in diagnosing my printing problem on my Canon MP530. I haven't found any useful information on interpreting the Canon test print so I have posted the image here. I am hoping that someone can explain what I am seeing.

Thanks in advance.

canon_MP530_test_print.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
It appears you have suffered an electronic print head failure. A new print head "should" bring it back to life.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I agree with turbguy that the the print head most likely has failed electronically. The nozzle check pattern with one or more stripes split exactly at the middle and one half being significantly lighter than the other is typical of a such print head failure.

There is however a slight chance that the problem is caused by a bad contact. You could try removing the print head and clean the contact pads on the back side of the print head and the contact springs in the print head carriage with a rag moistened with an electronics cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

I agree with turbguy that a new print head "should" bring the printer back to life. But when a Canon print head fails, there is a risk that it damages the logic board in the printer. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so replacing a print head is a gamble, and sadly I cannot tell the odds for success.

The print head parts number for the MP530 is QY6-0059 if you want to search the web for a new print head.