Hello to all members of PK.

Teodule

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP830
Hi,

I must admit, I have read dozens of posts in PK previously and now I have decided to become a member and join the team. I have used printers since I started using computer, some 30 years ago. I have had different makes canon HP Xerox. The last one **was** a AiO Canon MP830. It died yesterday not unexpectedly. I try to keep hardware living as long as i (it) can. as an electrical engineer it is rather easy for plenty of stuff. However printers are somehow different. I didn't manage to repair any of my printers so far, probably because thy have lots of mechanics and AiO printers are particularly complex machines. i am still fascinated by the amazing possibilities (duplex printing, duplex scanning, quality photographs, connection possibilities) and despised by the general price policy for ink and maintenance. I hope I can contribute here with my knowledge of electronics and to learn more about the inner life of printers.
See you guys!

teo

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
What happened to the MP830? Maybe it can be saved. The MP830 is a very high build quality printer, certainly worth to try saving. Among the forum members are a few very experienced MP830 owners, so help in the repair might be possible.

Teodule

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP830
Many thanks PeterBJ for your reply. I still have (little) hope this printer can be saved. But you see it is the 3rd unit of the kind I own. All three died in a very similar way. Print head problems. Trial to clean / unclog nozzles. And sudden death. I have the service manual, which I have read and used to dismantle one on the units. I would love to be able to fix it. But I guess following parts must be replaced:
- logic unit and /or PSU
- Print head, because some nozzles already failed but I could live with the old one
- absorber pads, because it is a used unit and I didn't check their saturation level
- priming unit because PGBK printing failed.

Even if it is contrary to my principles, this unit may end in the recycling station. Unless some one here is willing to have it for spare parts.

The trouble is that I don't find a AiO printer which compares with this one. Even the design was fine (it didn't look ugly -like a power or chemical plant- with its rounded, pleasant case). The only feature I really missed was the networking capability. One big minus was ink consumption even in a standby state.