Hello from Windham NH

Pappa O

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100, Epson 1400
Hello forum posters. I discovered this forum while doing some research on my Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer. This is a new machine for me. I have been using the Epson 1400 and 1430 for the past ten(?) years and the 1430, which was my color machine, recently died - or at least I can't make it work any more. The Canon will replace that machine as soon as I use up the last of my Cone Inkthrift color ink that I am now running in the 1400.

The 1400 has been used as a black-only printer for most of the past five years or so since getting the 1430. I run a number of inks in that printer, mostly using the guidance of Paul Roark. I have the UT14 ink set, and have the 2K2LK and Paul Roark Universal formulas on hand as well. I also had a brief and unhappy experience with an Epson 4900, but that is another story.

I mostly use Red River papers for my quality work and was very pleased to see that Precision Colors has .iccs for their ink with all of Red River papers and the Pixma Pro-100. That will save a lot of time and wasted paper - Cone never developed any .iccs for Red River and some off the papers are way of with printer controls.

I look forward to engaging with you in this forum. I believe forums to be one of the best resources for learning and sharing knowledge and I'm sure I'll have something to say or ask from time to time. My photo website is anythingbutawedding Many of my albums will ask you to sign in. Feel free to do so - I'll never spam you. I don't have time for that!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Pappa. Your first post is a great introduction. Sounds like you are on a good path.

One thing to be aware of with the Canon Pro-100 is that the OEM CLI-42 Yellow ink when mixed with an aftermarket ink, or even water if you go to flush the cartridge, will eventually cause "Yello Gello" in the cartridge and print head. You can read more about this on the Precision Colors web site on the web page for the CLI-42 ink refill inks. Avoiding Yello Gello is easy.

Another thing to be aware of is to refill your OEM Canon cartridges when the printer marks then as Low and not Empty. Once ink is depleted enough o expose the sponge to air it will begin to dry up the ink on the sponge and eventually, over several refills, cause poor ink flow that can lead to ink starvation and then burned out nozzles. Canon printers heat up ink to spit is out on the paper. The ink is also used as a coolant.

May your Pro 100 provide you much enjoyment for years.

PS - consider buying another Pro 100 when online stores offer a steep discount after rebate, usually several times a year. Having a spare print head is reason enough when the price is good. The free paper is nice as well. You can sell the "extra" OEM inks to defray your costs.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Welcome @Pappa O, you will find many an interest here as you start to develop your new Pro 100 printer, and it won’t disappoint you, but the Pro 10 makes better B&W’s.

Your photo website ( anythingbutawedding) would be better placed in your Signature, that way it will show in every one of your posts...

Pappa O

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100, Epson 1400
Yea, I picked up on those things watching some of the Jose Rodriquez videos. They clued me in that there were probably issues with the Canon printer that would be unique and that I should watch out for. I noted that Jose says never use ink that is over six months old. I don't think I have any ink that is less than two years old. Perhaps that is why I'm seeing more issues with my Epson printers lately. Or perhaps it's just that printers are cranky and it's always been difficult to get them to work properly. I find with the Epsons, once I get them working right, they will do a good job. But, getting them working right seems to be part practice and part magic.

As for black and whites, at least for the time being, I'll stay with the 1400 and the Paul Roark formulas. I get fabulous black and white prints using these and I've even developed my own method of getting good UT14 carbon prints on glossy and semi-gloss papers. Carbon inks are dirt cheap and will last for decades. Still, the abilities of the Pixma in this area look intriguing. I'll want to check that out sometime before the 1400 craps out.

Last edited: