head alignment i9950

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Hello
I am new here. I`m always using Canon printers and from future to now I`m buying older and older printer..
Now I have i9950, I bought it yesterday. I was excepting very much from this printer and now I have problem.
Last printer I have was canon i865 and his head is dead. When i compare same picture, the i865 win. The picture which made i9950 is I can say ill, colors are like a not alive. Then I start usually procedure, the nozzle check perfect, head alignment have one problem the column B is all away same from +7 to -3. and all away it has white vertical strikes. Is that maybe possible reason why printer have non natural colors?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload the nozzle check and alignment sheet? Here is how to upload images on the forum: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/how-to-upload-pictures-images-to-printerknowledge.8227/

An service test print from service mode provides an extended nozzle check with grid patterns for all colours, much better for diagnosing the print head. Service mode is found in the service manual at pages 1-15-1-21 incl.

You find working links to the service manual and parts catalog in this post: http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...-post-them-here-sticky.5071/page-9#post-36689

A manual print head alignment is more precise than an automatic alignment, so I recommend trying that.

The printer uses both normal and photo cyan and magenta, are you sure they are all in proper places, else the colours will be strange?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are two things to look for when comparing two different printer outputs, are they using OEM or 3rd party cartridges, and what brand of ink is in both of these printers, they would have to be using the same inks to get similar results, they should also be using the same cartridges.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Thanks for replies,
IMAG0264.jpgIMAG0263.jpg IMAG0262.jpg
Sorry for poor quality, but i think you can see where is the problem, on red, column B. On second picture from service mode you can see there is missing lines on red nozzle check pattern.
Is this big problem and may pictures are not good only because red alignment , I should try, as you sad, change and put canon original color inks in the printer and check for improvements?. This ones are, as I can see filling with some color from last user, I don't know anything which ink is used.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I cannot determine from your pictures if there is a print head problem. So are your pictures banded/striped or are the colours wrong. Do you have a colour cast and is a grey-scale neutral grey?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I cannot see anything seriously wrong in your pictures at all but if you want to get the printer back working perfectly again start fresh by changing the cartridges on both printers first.

There is no real point in trying to change any of your setting on the printer till you know you have a good flow of quality ink, then make your adjustments and you see the real differences.

Replace all of the compatible cartridges with OEM cartridges, you have a choice you can get brand new OEM filled carts or get empty ones (Cheaply) and fill them yourself with good quality inks, if you have difficulty getting BLI-6 carts then use CLI-8 carts instead.

When you start with all the same cartridges and inks you’ll find that both printer will produce stunning colour photos very similar to each other depending on your settings of course.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
thanks for replies. I bought some new OEM inks not all only photo cyan, photo magenta and red. also instead of cyan i put 3e cyan, is that same color?. (for i865 i can use both). I can see minor improvement of picture but is not OK. Here is a sample.scaned photo.jpg orginal photo.JPG
I will buy and others OEM colors, when you say so. I always thinking when the red alignment is not ok something else also is not with mixture of colors, they are always somehow red. I`m amateur and i don`t understate very well technology of printing so I will listen for your advice with great appreciate.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Peter could you send me some test picture I will print and scanned you back

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Thanks for replies,
View attachment 753View attachment 754 View attachment 755
Sorry for poor quality, but i think you can see where is the problem, on red, column B. On second picture from service mode you can see there is missing lines on red nozzle check pattern.
Is this big problem and may pictures are not good only because red alignment , I should try, as you sad, change and put canon original color inks in the printer and check for improvements?. This ones are, as I can see filling with some color from last user, I don't know anything which ink is used.
The red matrix on the service test print appears to show a repetitive loss of lines, which indicated a print head failure...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
BCI-3e dye inks are older than the BCI-6 dye inks, so colours are likely different. The i865 and i9950 use the BCI-6 ink set, and the use of the older ink set may cause the colours to be off. Some after market inks are better than others in colour match to OEM inks.

Even if I also see some striping in the red nozzle check from the service test print, I see no banding in your uploaded images so I think your print head is OK.

The i865 picture looks a bit pale and too blue/cyan to me, the i9950 picture looks a bit too red/magenta to me with saturation OK. I guess the third and larger image is the original photo?

Like The Hat I think the colour casts in both printers are caused by the inks, so what inks are you using in both the i865 and i9950?

Here is a test image that I like and use, as there is an instruction for what to look for when judging print quality. The test image: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html and the instruction for use: http://outbackprint.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html

This test image works well with Windows XP, Vista and 7, but might give problems with Windows 8: http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...5200-and-other-printers-under-w8-64-bit.8115/ . In case of problems with the original .tif test image, here is a .jpg version that works with Win 8 without problems: http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002_aRGB.jpg