Has Canon changed models of the MP530 to disallow reset?

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've been unable to figure out how to reset the refilled ink cartridges that I've used on a Canon MP530.

I have tried everything. I've held down the Stop/Reset key for 5 seconds.
I've held down the Stop/Reset + OK key for 5 seconds.
I've tried for an hour with every combination of keys I could try... with the printer cover open and closed.

Nothing works.

I find this odd, since according to dozens of sites I've checked with refilled carts, it's supposed to clear the machine by holding down the Stop/Reset key for 5 seconds to allow continued printing.

Has Canon changed newer models of the MP530 to disallow this?

I've tried the technique specified here:
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inkjetstuff11.html

This leaves no error message, but the amber light flashes 15 times.

Does this mean my only choice is to buy a chip resetter from Sudhaus that I see on ebay?
http://tinyurl.com/557ala

I wonder, does anyone have any experience with these chip resetters?
I think it's really morally corrupt of Canon to force consumers to have to pay a fortune for their OEM ink. I see many places on ebay that sell refilled carts where you can slip the old chip onto the cartridge, but I'd think that such carts would also be crippled by this error message, since it's the chip that Canon wants us to repurchase.
Anyhow, any clues, tips or suggestions much appreciated....

Johnny Z

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just a note, I see this topic is discussed on this list on the other thread nearby.

I guess that mostly answers all my questions... I guess I'll be checking out one of those resetters from Germany before too long.

I still think it's odd that the Canon Pro9000 allows one to easily reset refilled carts, but the Canon MP530 puts the consumer through this torture.

Such is progress.... I guess we're lucky that dishwashers, washing machines, furnaces and refridgerators all don't come with 'pay us more or we'll self-disable our working ability' features built in. I know my car (1995 Volvo) was the last model year where you can still do a self diagnosis test when things start going wrong. All the later model years can only be tested by driving into the dealer to have them figure out how much to extort in repairs.

:0)

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
All the later model years can only be tested by driving into the dealer to have them figure out how much to extort in repairs.
Yes, they all apply the "Wallet Vac" system now.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Johnny - The dealer wanted $125 to hook up his computer to evaluate the "check engine" light on my '97 Camry. Of course, they would apply that payment to the excessively costly repair! I have a great mechanic who does only what is necessary, charges less than the dealer, and I never have to go back for a redo. No charge to hook up the computer as this is a five minute task that he is glad to perform at no charge. The first day I went to his garage I waited while he looked under the hood of an old, tired car that was driven in by an elderly couple. Must have been a loose spark plug wire as he pushed all the wires firmly to place, closed the hood, and wouldn't accept any payment. Try that at the dealer! They would have been sold the usual tuneup, coolant flush, transmission service, etc.

binkie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an MP530 and have had no trouble in disabling the ink monitor. I am now refilling and running all cartridges with the ink monitor disabled. I doubt that Cannon would reengineer the printer to change this. It is a built in documented feature of the printer. If yours is not working and your printer is still under warranty, you should be able to have Canon fix the problem.

Binkie

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The most probable problem would be: one or more defective chips on the cartridges....Even with chip resetters, Canon has won the war by introducing those nausty chips.

Gompy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Johnny Z said:
I've been unable to figure out how to reset the refilled ink cartridges that I've used on a Canon MP530.

I have tried everything. I've held down the Stop/Reset key for 5 seconds.
I've held down the Stop/Reset + OK key for 5 seconds.
I've tried for an hour with every combination of keys I could try... with the printer cover open and closed.

Nothing works.

I find this odd, since according to dozens of sites I've checked with refilled carts, it's supposed to clear the machine by holding down the Stop/Reset key for 5 seconds to allow continued printing.

Johnny Z
Johnny,

Maybe a stupid question.
Have you refilled those ink cartridges and tried to reset *after* you got the warning one or more cartridges were empty or *before*?
I once read in an other forum that some one met the same problem and he's been advised to print the particular cartridge complete empty until the printer give that empty warning, and reset the cartridge afterwards.

Regards, Gompy

Johnny Z

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
binkie said:
I have an MP530 and have had no trouble in disabling the ink monitor. I am now refilling and running all cartridges with the ink monitor disabled. I doubt that Cannon would reengineer the printer to change this. It is a built in documented feature of the printer. If yours is not working and your printer is still under warranty, you should be able to have Canon fix the problem.
Hmmm... that's very interesting.

I really wonder what is going on. I don't seem to be able to disable the ink monitor on this MP530, and I take it from all the many non-OEM carts advertised online that it must be a standard feature with the MP530.

The other odd thing is that before the current everlasting 'Check ink U150 M' message... I had some odd message about having two Magenta catridges incorrectly loaded. But there was only 1 magenta cart.

I refilled the carts before the error message started. I'd had assumed that that this current error message meant that the cartridge was totally used up just by the count of the prints made.

the error reads:

Check ink
U150 M

I guess maybe I'll try buying another single Magenta cart and see if that helps... rather than spending $70 on the redsetter.

JZ

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just to put a couple of theories to bed on this...

My iP4500 came up with the 15 orange flash error a month back and so after trying various things including:
- cleaning the chips
- swapping over a PCI-5BK chip
- cleaning any ink or residue near/on prism's
-... etc...

I found that nothing worked until I did a chip reset using a reDsetter chip resetter. Once I'd done that on all of the chips it worked fine.

The only reason I did all the chips by the way was because I was in a hurry and wanted to just get it working or move on... In future I'll be a bit more empirical in my testing.

Of course this does not mean that the prism is not the primary cause. It could be that the chip overrides some prism detection but in truth I'm starting to lean towards Canon having put a little "gotcha" in their firmware. T'is all conspiracy theories though without proof.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Now we will never know the truth :( But you have a working printer that can be "fixed" with redsetter :D