Grey lady Down...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My CR-10 was half way through a print when I went back to it last night, it would seem the extruder stopped functioning for what ever reason, so I was printing hot air for over 2 hours.

Today will be spent diagnosing the issue and seeing if I can fix the problem without resorting to a new motherboard, the problem is inside the control box itself and not the motor..

More later... :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
These printers do not seem very robust. Have you been beating on it like a rented mule? Did Mrs. The Hat sabotage it in order to free you up for some more chores from the "Honey Do" list? :hide

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
These printers do not seem very robust. Have you been beating on it like a rented mule? Did Mrs. The Hat sabotage it in order to free you up for some more chores from the "Honey Do" list? :hide
The way @The Hat drives his printer he would have been through several mules.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Is it powering up or is everything dead?

Is there any warning on the screen?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is it powering up or is everything dead?
Is there any warning on the screen?
Nope, everything looks fine, it just won’t extrude filament, it can print fresh air all day, so yes, she working, but this type of printing can’t hold water... :D

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
So are you sure a new mainboard would fix it? Have you checked if there's any voltage on the extruder motor connection from the mainboard when you try to extrude filament?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So are you sure a new mainboard would fix it? Have you checked if there's any voltage on the extruder motor connection from the mainboard when you try to extrude filament?
I went through the usual diagnostic methods, the extruded motor is working when connected to the Y, X or Z Axes sockets, I have also used a new cable connection to rule out that possibility, then I connected the Y Axes to the extruder socket and it fail to move from that position.

I don’t think I have ever looked or forgotten the usual suspects or there is anything left for me to connect or check, sadly...

I am open to suggestions from anyone...:hu

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Assuming the extruder motor uses a similar driver to the axis motors, it does seem like the motherboard has to be the primary suspect.:(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I’ve got a new motherboard on the way, but it will be forever before it gets clearance, because the customs are pitifully slow, I’ll just have to watch 3D printer videos to feed my addiction. (8 Weeks) Ouch...:eek: