Great Video - Paper Sizes

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I found this to be brilliant & entertaining (and makes me even more upset we're not metric!)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A thought-provoking video, Nifty. Thanks!

I found similar explanation for the American letter paper size:

"Letter paper, common throughout the USA, Canada, Mexico and a few other countries, at 8.5″ x 11″ (21.6 x 27.9cm), is a similar shape to A4 but slightly wider and slightly shorter. Although in use for some time, it only became a recognised standard in 1921 to reduce waste in industry. At the same time, the US government chose another standard for official use, a slightly smaller page. Letter paper didn’t become the official national standard size for US government until the early 1980s! The largest paper size in the popular range, 17″ x 22″ (4 times bigger than Letter), was a legacy from manufacturing limitations of a few hundred years ago when paper was made by hand, and was determined by what humans can achieve with an average arm length. From this large size, the paper was halved and quartered to make modern Tabloid (11″ x 17″) and Letter (8.5″ x 11″) sizes."

Another explanation: http://www.straightdope.com/columns...-and-8-1-2x14-become-the-standard-paper-sizes

Interesting to note that the A4 has its roots in Germany.

Besides the aspect ratio for certain printing situations, I am quite happy with our American system of measurement and hope it does not change. But if we are to change to Metric, someone better let me know early on so I can dump my measuring cups and spoons and yardstick and rulers on eBay.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
:lol:

ibanezfrelon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
The ilustration suggests that A0 is 1m x1m, WRONG :) otherwise, interesting video

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I like history, especially history of science. I cannot tell you how many times I have wondered "how did this get invented?" or "who ate that first?". Necessity is the mother of all invention but how desparate was someone to be the first to use coffee beans a civet poops out? :sick

The ilustration suggests that A0 is 1m x1m, WRONG :) otherwise, interesting video
I quickly breezed through the beginning of the video again and the guy gets correct the area of the A0 is 1 meter squared. If he later on says or a graphic shows 1 meter sides then that is incorrect. I'm tired and going to sleep. :caf

A4 = 297 x 210 mm
A0 = 1189 x 841 mm

http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to tell you any of this before even if my life depended on it. Hopefully I'll remember some of this now. :D

Last edited: