Good Quality A4 Plain Paper Brands For Inkjet Printing

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Double A, PaperOne, IK Plus, HP/Epson/Canon/those OEM guys (good, of course!), some strange brand names...to name just a few.

Which one, based on your real use experience, is of good quality? (Good quality: inkjet printing, pigmented/dye ink, dense and crisp pigmented-black text, the ones of 80+gsm capable of duplex printing, white, "plain" - not provide paper dust,...)

I myself just tried IK Plus and PaperOne. IK Plus - don't know the origin. PaperOne - from Indonesia. I got IK Plus and PaperOne, both are A4, 80gsm, indicated inkjet-compatible. Printing a full page text using same black pigmented ink, same "Normal" mode: text is not pure black, a little bit grey, not "vivid" on IK Plus; on PaperOne it's beautiful: dense, vivid and sharp black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
All manufactured copy papers are made to a very high and exact standard and can be used
in every laser printer through the world regardless of brand;
it’s also the cheapest and most widely used paper anywhere.

A4 copy paper is not meant to be used for standard two sided inkjet printing unless you use duplex;
it employs and prints a much lighter shade of black so there is no show through
from either side to making easy reading.. :)

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
It seems that with laser printers, all paper brands perform just similarly good - dense black and very crisp printout, without any noticeable different. However, with inkjet, I currently only find HP paper and PaperOne is good. In VN, PaperOne can be bought at some limited retail stores (although it's good quality but because of high price, few stores are selling it), but HP isn't available anywhere. The HP papers I got is included with the printers when I bought it, as a gift.

Because of that, I would like to have one more alternative beside PaperOne just in case...well, PaperOne disappear at my location! :oops:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think you missed my point about copy paper, no matter which paper company it is even the cheapest ones,
have to work to the ISO standard quality mark.

No company, copy-shop or home users can afford to have their printers suffering from constant paper jams
all any time, so ALL copy paper has to work properly or get left unsold.

HP copy paper is a very very good but it’s way over priced for the job it does and any copy paper
will work equally as well at a much lower price.

You must also be careful when loading a laser with paper that you put it in the correct side up,
otherwise it will jam when used in duplex and that also includes quality HP paper.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have some gift for everyone, printed on my HP Deskjet with Inkmate ink: ;)

IK Plus: you can see that black is not...black! Yes, if print in laser printer, then it's nicer and blacker, but I have no scan for this! Sorry.
IKPlus(1).jpg

IKPlus.jpg

PaperOne: blacker!

PaperOne(1).jpg

PaperOne.jpg

Sorry I have to cover some essential info from diagnosis printout.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I think some copy papers just have more of a coating... binder? Hmm, I don't know, 'sizing'? that makes them work better with inkjets. I also think (but have no proof) that this would also cause them to have more dusting, and therefore wear out toner drums and dirty feed rollers faster than paper that doesn't look as good with inkjets.

I'm not entirely sure what the ColorLok process does to paper but it's supposed to make plain paper look better. You may want to see if the paper that has the best results has a ColorLok symbol on it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You may want to see if the paper that has the best results has a ColorLok symbol on it.
Most lightly it does.

I tried using 2500 sheets of the HP ColorLoc paper on some of my inkjet printers
and I didn’t like the results I'd gotten on it at all.

Because it didn’t produce a consistent colour output on the various different printers,
unlike when using the much cheaper standard copy papers.

IK Plus: you can see that black is not...black! Yes, if print in laser printer, then it's nicer and blacker, but I have no scan for this! Sorry.
Did you print them using Duplex or one side at a time ?

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Those are self-test and are always print one-sided only.
"Print Quality Diagnostic" print text parts using CMY dye ink, and nozzles check of course use each and every ink separately. => Look at the nozzle check part of the K channel and you can see the different clearly!
The "Printer Status Report" use pigment black ink for everything, except the 3 color bar and the "[" "]" character.

No no! In VN, I can only see 1 brand that's ColorLok - that PaperOne I'm using, the rest are cheap Chinese paper, or counterfeit paper without any sign. They don't even have brands and proper cover when buying! Someone working in printing press tell me that those paper are made using bad wood, chemical and not pressurized correctly => very lossy and tend to absord more ink. With toner it's okay since they can't absorb more toner! :D But instead, they cause lots of dust inside the printer.
PaperOne, Double A and OEM HP,Canon... are the only trustable quality brands here. The rest are from China for sure.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
What you are describing sounds just like bond paper and not in fact copy paper
because inkjet prints always turn out very poor on that type of surface.

These paper manufactures are probably only making the old style bond papers which works fine on litho machines and photocopiers, but unlike the inkjets they will damage a laser printer much quicker..

Last edited:

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes! Chinese products and no-brand products and urgly-quality products are ubiquitous here. Good-quality products are a little bit hard to find, since most people want cheap first and before quality, so sellers despite knowing a better product, have to sell those cheap ones first!