Good printer for home occasional use

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I need an all-in-one printer (scanner, copier, printer). From my research, I've narrowed down my brand choices to just either Brother or Epson. For occasional use, should I be looking for a laser printer? Going back to my printing habits over the years, I've only needed to print in black but I would also want to have the capability of printing in color. Are color laser printers too costly?

I was looking at the Epson EcoTank L6270 and was very close to pulling the trigger until I read here that a laser printer is more recommended for infrequent use. And don't ink tank printers have lower cost per page than laser printers in general? Or is it recommended to use third-party compatible tonrt cartridges for laser printers?

What do you guys recommend?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
What is your actual printing habit - what does 'infrequent' actually mean - a page every day or 10 pages at one time in a month ?

You are right that a laser could be a better choice - laserprinters are less prone to have startup problems - clogs etc than inkjet printers if we talk about idle times of months. Don't consider the use of third party inks - cartridges - toners at all - if you only print a few pages your total printing cost should be pretty low - and you would not like to be bothered with issues around 3rd party supplies.

Last edited:

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah, the latter so mostly 10 pages at one time in a month. Sometimes, it could even go a few months without any printing. I'm just tired of paying for overpriced printing services when it's time for me to print.

Could I get away with the ink drying up issue with ink tank printers if I print a nozzle check page once a week? It's a very inconvenient thing to do but I was just curious if this is really a thing as I read that some people do this.

So any type of third party supply (cartridges, drums, etc.) is a no-no for any type of printer? Do you have a specific recommendation of a printer that I can buy?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Nothing is for free with 3rd party consumables - you just won't have the experience to handle any issues with those - to identify potential causes - and you'll loose warranty - you won't save anything at the end. You just can browse this forum to see how any postings are related to 3rd party consumables .

Printing nozzle checks on a particular frequency is a possible option but requires discipline to do it. I do it with one printer on a weekly basis since I don't use that large format printer regularly , other people just put the printer away when not in use so it does not take away space on the table .

I cannot recommend any printer at this time - you may look for special offers - go to an electronics store - or look for other opportunities in your vicinity.