German Method for Refilling cli-42 and cli-721 carts... ?

printfan11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
The "conical plastic tubes" are called "tapered needles" by Octoinkjet, so you find them under "Spares, Parts & Tools -> Syringes, needles, luer fittings" See page 2 of this for various conical plastic needles. There are also other fittings/adapters available, maybe one of these or maybe a luer slip syringe could be used to make your own "bro-luer" adapter?

Hi PeterBJ, I just joined yesterday and I'm still learning to navagate the site so I don't know if we can get on the same page this way, but..Anyhoo..I do have a question you might have experience with. I'm looking at the German method for refilling cli-42 and cli-721 carts with. Do you have any tips or thoughts on this method? Thanks, in advance.. Printfan11.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
See this for refilling the transparent CLI-42 cartridges using the German method and this for refilling the windowed CLI-721 cartridges. The CLI-721 cartridges are identical to the CLI-521 cartridges except for the chip and label. They are intended for use in Europe instead of Asia.

There is one problem with the CLI-42 cartridges, the yellow CLI-42 Y should not be refilled as remnants of the original ink can react with refill ink or even water used to flush the cartridge and form a gel that will block the print head. See this post. Instead a CLI-42 cartridge or CLI-8 cartridge of another colour could be used after flushing and drying. The use of a CLI-8 Y cartridge is recommended, as perfect cleaning is less important. The cleaned cartridge should have the chip from the empty CLI-42 attached. See this for chip transfer. The CLI-8 cartridges are identical to the CLI-42 cartridges except for the ink, chip and label.

Even if you can print with refilled cartridges without resetting by disabling ink level monitoring, it is strongly recommended to use the proper resetters. The resetters are specific for cartridge type so you will need one resetter for the CLI-42 cartridges and another for the PGI-720/CLI-721 cartridges. The use of a resetter makes the cartridges look like new OEM to the printers.

The German refill method is a good and popular refill method. Another method that is also popular is the topfilling method.

Last edited:

printfan11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thank you very much for the tips and info PB . In the past I used Epson printers a lot, 1400,c-88,(A lot of trouble with this model),and I still am using 2 Artisan 725 printers set up with flip top refillable cartridges. I never got into the A3 except for the 1400 and for my money the Artisan was the best for prints up to 11x8 1/2. I really like the stationary carts with the ribbon feed. I was recently advised to stop using Epsons due to their policy of adding data that shuts down their printers if any third party use is detected. Imagine buying a car that shuts down if you don't buy a certain brand gas? I doubt that car manufacture would do well in the long run, so anyhow I'm going with Canon now so your info on refilling cli carts is much appreciated. Regards to you and Merry Christmas, Printfan11

printfan11

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Got a question, like I say I'm new here so don't know how thing work yet. I've been getting this message and have no clue what it is or if i'm supposed to respond to it or how...Msg is...You have been awarded a trophy: Has An Avatar).Anyone clear this up for me , please? Thanks. Printfan11.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@printfan11, if you click on the word HELP in the bottom right-hand corner, that will give you all the information you need, also when you click on your name in the top right-hand corner that will bring up you profile page and in there you can turn off/on most of the alerts that you have been receiving..
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Imagine buying a car that shuts down if you don't buy a certain brand gas? I doubt that car manufacture would do well in the long run
No, your car won’t shut down if you buy a different brand of fuel, that’s because the Oil Company have already got you to buy the gas guzzler in the first place..

Palatino

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5150
...I do have a question you might have experience with. I'm looking at the German method for refilling cli-42 and cli-721 carts with. Do you have any tips or thoughts on this method?

The German refill method is a good and popular refill method. Another method that is also popular is the topfilling method.

Hello printfan11,

Pay attention that German refill method is great for refilling, but less interesting when cleaning the cartridge by rinsing with water.
With time, the sponge inside the cartridge needs to be cleaned in order to maintain its absorption capacity (between 1 and 2 times a year).

So I prefer the topfilling method.
Canon is very nice by closing its cartridges with a 4 mm ball, easy to remove and replace by a silicon plug.

That's what it gives with my cartridges (CLi-526/PGi-525) :

palatino-img_20130709_095814-img.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
While the poplularity of the German style surged initially, it's about time it is reviewed critically as to whether it makes sense or not.
As mentioned the issue of flushing is a real issue. However, we have come to understand that resetting and replacing a bank of fully reset cartridge is really the best way to operate a printer if it is possible and a manually controlled resetter is available. This means that tanks that are only partially full must be topped up and this is where the German method presents its biggest hurdle. Bubbling when the lower sponge is still saturated. We now know that the lower sponge must be kept saturated at all times to maintain its condition, so if we try and refill with the German method, very often users will end up with ink bubbling out of the outlet. If we consider the above issues and the fact that good plugs that seal properly are available, in my opinion, the topfill method in conjunction with a storage clip and silicon plug easily edges forward over the German method. That is my opinion but others may have different opinions.

German method is not possible with the PGI-72s. With these there are invasive procedures required to refill these. These are spring bladder systems with no sponge or separate reservoir.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
PGI-72 (and PGI-9) are the easiest carts to fill, and because even 3th party pigment ink costs a not negligible amount of money, replacing all carts together is the best way.

I refill dye ink carts with the German method, and (try to) replace a cart at the yellow sign, when the ink chamber is empty and the sponge still saturated.
As I understand (and observed on transparent carts) air only enters from beneath through the sponge (and causes foam) when the ink injected by the German method seeps from the chamber into an empty sponge (I am not sure how the air escapes from the chamber when injecting ink, but certainly not via the lower sponge).

Doing so delays IMO the moment the cart must be flushed and enhances the reliability.
The loss of ink by more frequent cartridge changes is less important since dye ink is very cheap (and maybe not more than what is lost by flushing a cart with a bubbling sponge).

Just my 2ct.