Frozen Ink Is Harmful To Print Heads?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Just read that Frozen ink is harmful to print heads? So anyone knows if it's true, never seen ink shipped in protected containers etc.

Supposedly small crystals are formed and when ink temperature returns to normal they do not dissolve completely, systems with sponges like CLI-8 is affected less than bag only like PGI-9 because less filtering material between the printhead.

Does it relate to DYE ink?
Or perhaps to pigment only?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Just read that Frozen ink is harmful to print heads? So anyone knows if it's true, never seen ink shipped in protected containers etc.

Supposedly small crystals are formed and when ink temperature returns to normal they do not dissolve completely, systems with sponges like CLI-8 is affected less than bag only like PGI-9 because less filtering material between the printhead.

Does it relate to DYE ink?
Or perhaps to pigment only?

Ha Ha, You're joking right!

Or are there really users who freeze the cartridges in their printers?

I smell a joke or gotcha here.

If you are referring to ink that has been frozen and subsequently thawed before use, that's a different question. As somebody who lives in Canada I am sure we would have heard, or have been warned, if previously frozen ink was harmful to our printers. I have transported printers and ink in the trunk of my car when the temperature has been below -30 degrees without obvious problems

Then again maybe that has been the cause of all my problems :he

RS

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Living in Wyoming at 7400', and having mail delivered a mile away from my home in an unprotected mailbox was a concern for me. Particularly in mid-winter when -30 F (or lower) is quite common. I'm sure Canadian users have similar conditions. I asked Dave a Hobbicolors about ink freeze being a problem for his customers (I only use dye ink). He responded he has never had a complaint.

Now, PIGMENT inks? That might be different....

Wayne

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Living in Wyoming at 7400', and having mail delivered a mile away from my home in an unprotected mailbox was a concern for me. Particularly in mid-winter when -30 F (or lower) is quite common.
8:00 AM Monday morning, -40 F with the wind and sometimes snow, standing on the corner, waiting for the light to change to cross the street and then walk across Prexy's Pasture to go to class at University of Wyoming.

I think I pee'd ice crystals after that.

Thanks for the memories, turbguy!

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I assume you were in shorts and flip-flops at the time, too?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wasn’t even aware that ink could actually freeze because of its chemical makeup.

But I do know if you don’t keep your working printers environment above 50 f/10 c
then you’ll have problems with poor ink flow, a short dip in low temperature won’t do it any harm
but long term will.

Known stratman it was probably a streak... :weee

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
On a related topic. I have seen reports that print head blockages on some printers can be attributed to humidity changes. Can't recall if too low or too high was the problem.

Here in the Great White North, our houses can get pretty dry in winter when the furnaces kick in. We have the little humidity thingy attached, but the air still seems dryer than the summer when we have the humidity from the St Lawrence Seaway to contend with..

Methinks it is time for Mr Hat and Joe the Toolman top start considering building air conditioned rooms for their growing flock of printers. Should keep them out of mischief.

RS

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Living in Wyoming at 7400', and having mail delivered a mile away from my home in an unprotected mailbox was a concern for me. Particularly in mid-winter when -30 F (or lower) is quite common. I'm sure Canadian users have similar conditions. I asked Dave a Hobbicolors about ink freeze being a problem for his customers (I only use dye ink). He responded he has never had a complaint.

Now, PIGMENT inks? That might be different....

Wayne

That`s pretty cold Turboguy. My references to -30 was degrees celcius. I am sure your reference was degrees Fahrenheit which is a whole lot colder.

RS

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
That`s pretty cold Turboguy. My references to -30 was degrees celsius. I am sure your reference was degrees Fahrenheit which is a whole lot colder.
-30 C = -22 F.

-34 C = -30 F

-40 C = -40 F.

Yep, the same number!

Latest posts