framed prints fogging

pm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Whats up with my framed prints fogging up? I've got serious fogging problem on three quaters of my most recent framed work, These were on display outdoors and after two days a noticed this film on the inside part of the glass, The pieces were not in direct sunlight how ever it was quite hot out. How can this be avoided. HELP!!!!!!

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pm said:
Whats up with my framed prints fogging up? I've got serious fogging problem on three quaters of my most recent framed work, These were on display outdoors and after two days a noticed this film on the inside part of the glass, The pieces were not in direct sunlight how ever it was quite hot out. How can this be avoided. HELP!!!!!!
Questions for you

Printer mafg/model/ink/paper?

allowed dry time before framing?

framed with mat?

framed indoors/outdoors?

Temp/humidity delta between indoor/outdoor?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Bobglen raises an important issue. With many printers and the combinations of ink and paper, prints come out of the printer dry to the touch. They are not completely dry, however, and need to be left exposed to the air for 24 hours or so before storing or framing. probably condensation on the inside of the frame glass. You can probably take the print out and leave overnight, clean the glass, and reframe the print.

pm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've got a Canons9000 with the canon inks. Prints take about 24 hrs to set up,also these were not framed and matted for 4/5 days after printing. I took the print out of the frame and this film was everyware onthe glass but wear the matt was, The film has almost a patternlike appearance to it. Looks like the ink gives off a gas in certain weather conditions / warm 80 to 90 degrees not to humid 60% or so.

pm

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just read about the out-gasing problem. thats my issue, Now what kind of paper do you lay over the print for a quicker curing time?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
pm,

The paper must be porous, so this rules out photo paper or coated paper. It also can't stick to or discolor the photo, so this rules out newspaper (or any printed paper). The first link recommends regular bond paper used for text printing - I use it to interleave between my prints when I have a large stack of fresh prints that must wait to dry.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I would think that since matte paper is more porous, you'd have better results with it.
I had some framed prints I had done a while ago for a fair, and had a similar problem.

The matte prints didn't fog up.

Good luck!