Found Some Old Photo Paper

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
I found some old HP Premium Photo Paper and Kodak Ultima Photo paper that I used with the HP Photosmart 7960 printer some years ago. Is this paper good to use with the Epson R1900 and Canon Pro 100? Is it even still good to use?

Thanks...Al

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Some of the older papers used a "swellable" coating that should not be used with pigment inks, and which may require a slower printing speed to allow the ink time to be absorbed before the next pass of the print head. Put a small drop of water in the corner of a sheet - if it becomes slippery, the coating is swellable; if not you should be good to go for even pigment inks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Before the availability of good pigment ink printers, swellable paper was the answer to making dye prints more durable. It must be shielded from moisture so keeping prints behind glass is a must. If you have these papers, they are a good option to having a pigment ink printer, with some providing high gloss and texture. They allow the use of dye ink for everyday prints and the occasional print for hanging durability.

Unfortunately, HP was the last one to offer these and it was part of their Vivera long life package but is now discontinued. Your Pro-100 handles these papers well with no special printing instructions and I have the profiles for the HP Premium Plus Glossy. I was not able to obtain the Kodak Ultima. It is likely that the same profiles that work with the HP might work on the Ultima.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Thanks for the feedback. Mikling, you say you have profiles - are they on your website? I will do the water test. Would any harm come to the print head or printer if I just used the paper to see how it fairs?

Al