Forum Slow

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Anyone else noticing the forum has been slow again the past couple of days? @Nifty ?

I just got the following error message when trying to access a message on the forum. Not seen this before.

1617805873119.png

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Unfortunately this is related to the same issue discussed here:
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/forum-software-changes.14344/post-126630

We've had COUNTLESS emails back and forth with the server company, they "fix" something, it seems to make a difference, and then problems persist, return, etc., so we start the process over and over again.

That said, we're not putting all our eggs in their basket and while trying to resolve the issues with their platform, we're also working on evaluating other potential server providers and the expensive (in $$ and time/effort) process of moving all the sites and data to another datacenter... which is incredibly daunting.

We'll continue to keep putting in the efforts with both the existing server/host and also exploring a move. In the interim, I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thank you for the fast reply. It must be incredibly frustrating for you. I posted because of the unusual error message seen in my post.

Hopefully your host's updated server software isn't their version of DOS 4.x or Microsoft ME. Real stinkers. :tongue

we're not putting all our eggs in their basket
I see what you did there! :D

https://www.backyardchickens.com/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Nifty, The forum is back to been slow all day, and trying to post becomes a waiting game, and while I’m here.. The way this new LIKE is setup is off the wall, if it’s not changed very soon I won’t be using it again.. Why don’t you try to fix the things that are broke here and leave the rest of it alone..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Sorry for the problems you're having. We don't see anything that is causing slowness right now, but we'll keep an eye on it.

The way this new LIKE is setup is off the wall, if it’s not changed very soon I won’t be using it again.
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you be more specific about "new LIKE is setup"?

Why don’t you try to fix the things that are broke here and leave the rest of it alone..
It sounds like you're frustrated... I understand. That said, I spend countless hours working on the site, software, servers, etc. For you to say, or even imply that I'm not trying to fix things is incredibly insulting and has a tone of entitlement. You do not know how much time I spend on the backend putting out fires, troubleshooting, keeping spammers and hackers away, and doing all manner of things to keep this free resource available to you and thousands of others.

I appreciate the reports of problems, and will continue to endlessly work towards a resolution. That said, I ask that you (and any other people having issues) do so with a sense of patience, details and a helpful and friendly tone.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
suppose to do..Most of the problem I had yesterday have now vaporised thankfully, and the (“new Like setup”) seems to have also taken a back seat. Or was just a glitch.. !
they "fix" something, it seems to make a difference, and then problems persist, return, etc., so we start the process over and over again.
As for my request to report issues that are causing the site to run slowly. If they are sounding insulting, well if the cap fits.. what I should have said more politely was, You should concentrate on the things that are causing the greatest concern and leave the things that are not alone.

And while we on the subject of slinging insults, what gives you the right to say “I’m frustrated” and as far as a tone of entitlement is concerned, well you should know of all people that I’m no longer your obedient Moderator, because I’ve left all that behind me, and I owe you nothing so get over it.. (My Choice)..

Now if you do not wish for any more reports or anything further and if my help and concern is no longer of value here that’s fine, because it can be so much nicer to be pissing into the tent !..
P.S. If I see a wrong... What do I do.. Time for a re-think…

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Pretty good, Rob.

Every now and then there is slowing, such as a couple days ago. Then it is gone.

Thanks for checking in. :thumbsup

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
LOL!

Yup, I actually avoid / postpone updates as long as possible so others can work out the bugs (except when the updates have vital security fixes and/or I'm forced into the updates by the various service providers).

Thanks for the replies guys!