Forum Information And Suggestions

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Has anybody ever had a problem where the forum didn't post your reply or got stuck as you were posting a reply? I'm not talking about the forum just being slow (as it sometimes will happen with a lot of users and search engine spiders on the site) but I'm talking about actually loosing your post. Fortunately I've NEVER had this happen to me on this forum. I think it is because the server is robust and the software is great. I've had this happen on other forums and it can be incredibly frustrating, especially with long posts.

NOW, this being said, I'm not fooling myself into thinking that it will never happen here. There can be problems on the server, the internet, or on my local machine that can cause problems once I hit the submit button. This being the case I make sure that anytime I've going to write a huge post or reply that I write it in MS Word, Notepad, or any other text program outside of the forum and I suggest you do this too!

Another thing I do (sometimes instead of writing in a word processing program) is copy all the text I just wrote into my computer's "clipboard" memory so that if anything goes wrong when I hit the submit button I still have all the stuff in my clipboard that I can just paste into another post. It's as easy as CTRL A (select all) and then CTRL C (copy).

Just a suggestion from your friendly forum administrator! :D

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
It happened to me the other day. I can't remember which thread, but I think it dealt with fading prints. It was a fairly long reply and in it I commented that as long as good (multiple) backups are maintained, fading isn't a concern to me, since I can reprint any that aren't looking so well.

I've also thought about composing my posts in Word or MS Publisher which I use for nearly everything. In addition to having a backup in case of a lost posting, the spell check function helps to minimize the appearance of being the village idiot.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
drc - Fortunately, this forum doesn't have a village idiot!!!! I believe has has signed on here and is lurking, however, as he put two and two together and identified me as Burt on the printer NG. He's so proud of himself that he has permantly pressed his caps lock button down in responding to me on that NG.

Nifty - the only annoyance I've found is that after posting a response I can't simply hit the "back" button to get back to where I was before - usually looking at the posts since my last visit. Can that be fixed? Really a minor annoyance.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
fotofreek, I've not dealt with that as I usually open all of the new threads / posts into a new window so after I've read / replied to it I can just close the window. I've looked a little, but I don't think there is anything I can do to change the way it posts and redirects after the post. Sorry.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Another forum tip. If you want to reference a particular post inside a specific thread / topic just right click on the date of the post. Next, click on 'copy shortcut'. This should give you a link you can directly post in an email or another thread for reference.

For example: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1867#p1867

Latest posts