Forestalling firmware update

walterono

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP-960
My Epson XP-960 printer has started telling me there is a firmware update available. Before, this message would only display shortly after turning the printer on, but today it has been shown twice, and I fear there may come a time when I will be forced to accept it, which I do not want to do because I am afraid it will prevent the printer from using third party cartridges.

Is there any way to stop the printer checking for firmware updates and displaying this message? One way of doing this would be preventing the printer from connecting to the internet (not to my LAN) at all. Does anyone know how to do this?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
How did you install the Epson software/driver - via the CD ? This typically installs an 'Epson Software Updater' since a while which can check for the printer firmware, the actual driver version and as well for its own software version, the version of installed manuals, and this software offers some settings for updates between declining and accepting them. You may as well check the driver itself , on the Utility tab, at the bottom right corner where you may find a button for software updates.
Are you using 3rd party cartridges or a CISS on this printer - a firmware update may render older cartdigdes useless or those of the CISS.

MikeH

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro100
One way of doing this would be preventing the printer from connecting to the internet (not to my LAN) at all. Does anyone know how to do this?

I've used Zonealarm for years to keep Quickbooks and other accounting software from accessing the internet. I would think that it would also work to block the printer update. When you first set it up, do not let it automatically configure anything ... this includes your browser(s). Options are: 1) Allow always, 2) Deny always, and 3) ask. Make the programs ask for a while so you can see what's happening. You can always open up Zonealarm later, under "program control," and modify your choices.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Zonealarm
There's a blast from the past! At one time ZA was the best of the commercial best. Speaking of the past, remember Gibson Research Center's ShieldsUP!? ZA and ShieldsUP! went hand in hand back in the day.

Firewalls nowadays will often allow for allow/deny, or whitelist/blacklist, an application's phone home functions. For instance, in Norton Security click on Settings/Firewall/Program Control then Allow/Block/Custom each applet that accesses the internet for the specific application considered. Once you find this firewall function settings then it is a matter of knowing what to block.

We have discussed this on more than one occasion - preventing the printer application from phoning home to update firmware or whatever. It isn't rocket science to set it up once you know what to block. As I recall, no one gave feedback. Maybe no one tried. :idunno

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Forgot one of the oldest methods of preventing both inbound and outbound connections is via Windows own Hosts file. This file loads at boot and can be used to blacklist a web site and is independent of whatever firewall you are using.

Like most things Windows, more than one way to perform the same task.