FLUSHING....WHY?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I had conversed with Grandad a few months ago to digest his observations about flushing carts. I've been getting quite a few newbies to refilling because many of them cannot digest the cost of OEM carts anymore. Many however don't appreciate that flushing is sometimes necessary.

As a result of my discussion with Grandad and also based on what I experienced, I started to piece the puzzle together. I experimented with some cartridges and can positively easily demonstrate what probably causes the most flow problems when refilling.

Grandad calls this the "ink link" and he attributed his thoughts about this to something I demonstrated at some previous time. Well I was not aware of what I had mentioned but by some stroke of luck, it seeded his thinking and his thoughts seeded my thinking about it. So I credit Grandad for his thinking.

The reason also makes sense for many people who have found that the lower profile carts like the 521/526/221/226 need more flushing than normal.

I will find the time to make this video because I think it is seminal.

In the meantime, observe what the printer does more often as soon as the optical sensor is triggered by the reservoir being out of ink.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This video was also triggered by a refilled called ID Allan. He comes around now and then on this site but also is seen more frequently on DPreview. His key contribution to this is that he top fills with a precision scale. Now who does this???? But....it was a trigger.

The video will also show why the most often used colors are more often the reason why partial clogging begins in those channels. Like I said, it all pieces together and makes a lot of sense in the end.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Ooops....someone is still awake. Added link
The next one will take three hours to load into Youtube.
See you tomorrow.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Thank you. These should help our friend!!!! You know who that is.

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
He reported that he had problems with OCP magenta in his Pro90000MKIIas well.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
No, once the foam build up is there, the only way to rid it is to "FLUSH". Some may break down but not all. Grandad mentioned this before but he calls it, breaking the ink link.

The last video still loading now will possibly answer for a lot of reasons why the most used channels end up having banding problems in the nozzle check and printing.

It will also answer why PeterBJ only gets around 6 refills before he requires flushing on the 526 or 521 carts.

Last edited: