flushing CLI-42 carts

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I'm looking for a procedure on how remove residual water from CLI-42 carts after flushing and cleaning them with distilled water. The Youtube precision colors video on flushing these carts mentions another video on how to remove the residual water. I cannot find it. Additionally once you have completed the cleaning process and removed the water, is it ok to store them in the dry state until you are ready to refill at a later time?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
After removing as much water as possible and clearing the tunnel system of any water, take a paper towel or even a normal towel, place it against the outlet and keep it there. It will wick the water out. Replace towel if necessary. Expose the towel so it can dry. When the towel is dry, remove it and you are not finished as yet. Let the cart stand in a warm dry place or in the sun for hours more till all the water has dried out.

To tell if you have removed sufficient water, the best way is to weigh the cart. If it is 14 grams or less, it is sufficiently dry to fill. Thereafter, you can store the dry carts indefinitely if it weighs 13.6 grams or less. If it is stored at 14 grams in a dry atmosphere, it will eventually dry out some more. If you have a fruit or vegetable dehydrator, that will work very well to achieve the last step.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As the CLI-42 and CLI-8 cartridges look very similar, I guess that these weights also applies to the CLI-8 cartridges?

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Sorry to get back to everyone on this. thank you for posting replies to my question about drying the carts after flushing them. Someone in the forum stated that they use the pharmicist formula instead of distilled water for flushing carts what is a pharmist formula? Why would he have done that rather than use distilled water?

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
I meant to say sorry to get back so late to everyone.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@deccma, Most would rather use distilled water (Cheaper), then finish off with pharmacist solution.

5% Propylene Glycol (Or 2% Glycerol)
20% Isopropyl alcohol.
75% distilled water.

These ingredients can be bought in the local Drug Store..

deccma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro 100
Ok, reading the reply about the Pharmacist formula I am left to ask what purpose it serves in the cart flushing process when the ink has previously been flushed and cleaned with distilled water? I do see some of the sponges in my distilled water flushed carts still have a light tinge of color and are not white. (Magenta and cyan) others look completely clean. Perhaps that is why the Pharmacist formula is used, but would someone please clarify its purpose.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
If I remember correctly Pharmacist created this formulation as a sponge rejuvinator which would help to bring back a sponge that was suffering from not being able to provide sufficient ink flow to the head, to one that worked optimally. Many other possible properties may very well be there waiting to be discovered!

Does it help to erradicate stuburn bits of ink residue stuck in the sponges? Can't answer.
I was able to completely erradicate all innk residue by flushing with CONE's PiezoFlush! Cleaned out even an OEM CLI-42 YELLOW cart which is nearly impossible to do so with just plain water. Also cleared out a magenta one that had residual ink stains in the sponge. Yes that stuff really does work BUT it is very expensive! I wish I knew the secret formula!

For the time being I'll just stick with Pharmacist's "Magic Juice"
Joe

flowrider

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I don't really want to create a new thread so I thought I'd just tack this on here. I've flushed an old Magenta Cli-42 cartridge and I let it dry over night. I didn't weigh it since I don't have a scale (yet). I had this same problem when I initially tried to refill it. I'm wondering if it's a bad cartridge or if I didn't let it dry enough. This is what the cart looks like even after I've filled it and plugged the fill hole. The sponge fills right to the top every time.

Attachments

• P_20151230_233720.jpg
    P_20151230_233720.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 722