Filament bits and pieces....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I wonder has anyone ever tried splicing their filament and making a successful join of it afterwards.

I have several rolls of filament with between 5 and 30 metres still left on them, and the only way I can use them up is to babysit the printer each time it runs out of filament, (Change the roll) now if I could join all these pieces together on the one roll that would be the dogs’ dinner...:)

Is it possible to apply heat to achieve this, or am I only dreaming again ?.... :confused:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
It would be nice to join all the pieces together and print something multicoloured. Someone experimented by adding permanent marker randomly on a piece of white filament and it turned out quite good but I can't find the pic now ;(

Anyway - plenty of ideas here...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=joining+3d+filament&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=XLV0Wv7SEofW8AfxjrR4

I saw one on Ebay.de quite a few months ago but it seems the same design has shot up in price now...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/ABS-PLA-Fil...609981?hash=item23990cd37d:g:SiYAAOSwSPBadKMo

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Nice one @Redbrickman, I’ll have a go trying to join a few pieces together, but I’ll use my Bunsen burner, now that I know it can be done, I’ll just have to be careful with the diameter, that’s all... :)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I tried to do it a few times with a lighter and nothing else and had a difficult time... then I saw this video using a bit of bowden tube and I've thought it to be a super simple genius idea! Especially considering it should be the perfect diameter and heat resistant!

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Simple method but will need a few session of burnt fingers before getting the hang of it ;)

Latest posts