Feedback Needed - 3D Printers - Any Interest?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've been fascinated by 3D Printers since they first came on the scene. There are even a few threads mixed in the forum about them.

A friend of mine just got a 3D printer kit and is super excited about putting it together. He knew I was passionate about printers and thought there would be a lot of discussion about them on my "printer site".

This got me to thinking, so I thought it would be good to include y'all in the process with a few questions:
  1. Are you interested in learning more about 3D printers?
  2. Do any of you have experience with 3D printers?
  3. What do you think about eventually adding a 3D printer section for discussions about them here on PrinterKnowledge?
In general I don't like to start new sections without there already being some threads active on the topic, so I thought I'd see if y'all had any feelings about where the tech is and where it is going?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Rob, here’s what I think. :ya
On 1 and 2, I can say no and no again.

On 3… :)

What has 3D printers got in common with Inkjet or laser printers, from what I can see absolutely nothing at all.

They produce an object not an image that is neither greyscale nor colour, they don’t use ink nor paper and are hugely expensive to buy and run so where does that leave them. :idunno

I reckon they would be more at home on a modelling forum rather than an inkjet printer site but I love them as much as I do 3D TV. :th

My 2 cent worth, now I’ll go voluntary to my room… :weee

You did ask..:eek:

l0l0pr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I will refill them with recycled water bottles :weee (after melting & dying them using maybe solvent inks) and then use it to make copies of all my Epson printers! :ya

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
I am CAD man that will be very valuable for me Nifty ...
:ep:celebrate

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
What has 3D printers got in common with Inkjet or laser printers, from what I can see absolutely nothing at all.

Thanks The Hat, I definitely value all opinions and thoughts!

Actually they have quite a lot in common! In fact, the first 3D printers that have been used for printing human tissue/organs were inkjet printers that had two basic modifications:
  1. Cartridges were refilled with a different solution
  2. An extra axis was added, so instead of just X & Y (two horizontal axis) another (Z) was added for vertical
Based on the people demographics of this site, I bet there are a lot of people visiting that are currently interested or eventually will become interested in 3D printers... but that's just my guess, hence the impetus for this thread.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Well I notice that Photoshop now includes a provision for 3D Print drivers and utilities.

Can't say I am much interested at the moment, but nothing is forever.

RS

Latest posts