Fast Printing Modular Drawer system

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Once in a while I get tempted to print stuff like that, but then I realize that either:

1) I have similar already around the garage that I'm not using, or
2) Stuff like this is readily available at the $1 store (or other super-cheap stores) that tend to be better quality injection molded clear plastic with more reliable hinges, clasps, etc.

I'd love to say that 3D printing my own stuff is always the best / better option, but there are definitely some things that (from a pure functionality / cost standpoint) make more sense to just buy.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
...all that said, the fact that it's vase-mode is intriguing to me, and I might give one of these a try just to play with that a bit.

plus, I recently watched this video and tested out printing lines WAY thicker than my 0.6 nozzle... and it worked!

So, it might be interesting to combine this method with the print above and see what I get!

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Don't bother to resist the temptation @Nifty. Sooner or later you're gonna print this stuff... Do it sooner and rest. :p

I suspect that printing in vase mode isn't the best option for parts that need to support some weight and resist a bit of rough handling.
I printed once in vase mode ( a flower vase, what did you expect ? :rolleyes: ). It looked very nice, being so smooth, translucent and lightweight, but flimsy as a lily too.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I printed once in vase mode ( a flower vase, what did you expect ? :rolleyes: ). It looked very nice, being so smooth, translucent and lightweight, but flimsy as a lily too.
Yup, they can be very flimsy! I've also found they are VERY rarely able to hold water 100%, so that make them (ironically) not great as vases.

Using a bigger nozzle, printing slower, at higher temps, and using the trick in the video above has combined to make my vases pretty strong and more "water-tight". I haven't done extensive testing, but the results are definitely better than when I was printing with a 0.4 nozzle and "regular" settings.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yup, they can be very flimsy! I've also found they are VERY rarely able to hold water 100%, so that make them (ironically) not great as vases.
I don’t know anything about vase mode, I’ve never used it but I needed a pot for a tiny plant I found growing on the side of the road, and I wanted a suitable pot quickly so I printed one up and twelve months later I have a lovely specimen of pine tree.. A true Tree D pot..
I ran out of blue filament half way, but the plant didn’t notice and its trebled in size..

P.S. I forgot all about it till I saw this post..
tree pot.jpgpot3.jpg

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat, your particular concept of 'vase mode' sure looks far more sturdy than regular vase mode.:D

@Nifty, for water tight models, PLA is not very good, as you noticed. Polypropylene is way better for that, but it's also very expensive and a bit tricky to print.
I made several small funnels with PP.and they're fine but, of course, you can buy them at discount shops, better looking and much cheaper. :p

I always use 0.4mm nozzles but I have a couple of unused 0.6mm. units. Maybe I'll try to print something in vase mode. with one of them, but I doubt that those modular drawers would be sturdy enough even with 0.6mm nozzles.

Last edited: