False economy to fit cheap, unbranded fuser?

noexpert

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother HL3240CW
Recently I purchased a Brother HL-3150cdw colour laser Printer which was being disposed of by the office purely because the fuser had failed and a new OEM unit, Mfr Part #: Brother LR2231001, LY6753001, fitted by an engineer would have cost almost as much as a new machine. Apparently destroying fusers is a common occurrence and can easily happen if an operator tries to extract a jammed sheet of paper by forcefully pulling it out from between the rollers (I've done it myself!) and here's the result...

upload_2018-12-4_19-3-0.png

So I'd be interested to know if anyone has gone to the trouble of dismantling their complete fuser unit and fitting an aftermarket roller which can be purchased on a well known auction site for £10/$12. There's a very clear, step by step YouTube tutorial uploaded by an Australian printer parts supplier which makes dismantling the unit extremely easy but it also comes with dire warnings about using these cheap replacement rollers saying that they overheat due to their lack of a heat resistant film inside the tubes. The offending part is a simple, plastic covered aluminium (British English) sleeve with no moving parts... Are the Chinese copies really so bad or are they a good enough, budget alternative to OEM? I've ordered one for myself and will report back but as it's now on the slow boat from the Orient I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has successfully gone this route without encountering problems.