Extended Warranty questions

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased an extended printer warranty? I'd like to know people's experiences with extended warranties, and ask if it is worth the extra $$$. It seems like for those people who print a lot, it might be worth it. At least, if something goes wrong in the second or third year, at least the machine will be replaced.

Has anyone had hassles when bringing a printer back to the retail outlet?

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'd advise you to get out the ole magnifying glass and check the small print. You may find that the warranty won't cover many things that the warranter considers results of "normal usage," and some won't cover lightning damage, etc. I'd suggest investing in a good surge protector instead.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
As Kenyada suggested, "I'd suggest investing in a good surge protector instead"....

... and/ or making sure its physically unplugged from the wall in an electrical storm. Never overlook what these can do to todays sensitive equipment. I run my Mac and PC off a smartUPS, which has plenty of headroom for expansion, but as I understand it, it isnt suggested that you put a printer on one coz they draw heaps of power. If I remember rightly, lasers are much worse.

HTHs,
Music Image.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I live in a small town high in the mountains, and power outages are frequent here...