Expired PC inks - Pro-100

André

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma-Pro 100 (PC inks)
This may seem like an odd question (cause I definitely can’t find an answer to this anywhere), but I have some squeezy bottles of PC inks (for a Canon Pro-100) that are nearing 9 months old which I realize is hovering around that danger zone for dye based inks. I’ve order new ink from PC, but wondering what exactly I need to do with the old. Do I need to dump it and clean the bottles and needles? If so, is there a proper process for this beyond say washing them in sink water with dish soap? Can I just top them up and the bioside in the new ink will allow the old to remain?

For the record, I’ve also always taken caution when refilling to clean the needles with alcohol swabs.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have some squeezy bottles of PC inks (for a Canon Pro-100) that are nearing 9 months old
The forum consensus is use opened ink within 2 years, less if particulates are seen in the ink or some other anomaly is noticed. This recommendation may be born from Canon's own recommendation to use their inks within 2 years.

How you store your ink, what exposure the ink has to the environment, and your environment will determine how long your ink stays good. I would wipe the needle, squeeze the squeeze bottle with the paper towel covering the end of the needle to help expel ink in the needle, and store the squeeze bottle out of sunlight and in a moderate temperature room.

Flushing your needles and squeeze bottle with water is OK unless you have or suspect some sort of biological contamination. Then use alcohol and/or soap and water to clean.

The Squezy Cap System from Precision Colors lets you use the bulk ink bottles that come in the mail so you do not have to decant the bulk ink into another bottle that is then used for the actual refilling process. It is an additional cost but should further decrease the risk of biological contamination as well as some potential spills.

André

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you for the quick reply. I guess my concern was more since I’ve hesrd multiple times about not trusting the inks beyond 6 to 8 months.

I think I am using best practices for storing the ink (on a covered shelf in a walk in closet... light exposure is limited)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I’ve hesrd multiple times about not trusting the inks beyond 6 to 8 months.
Curious... where did you read this? I don't recall that being said here, at least as a consensus recommendation. :idunno

André

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Now that you ask I guess it’s been 1 person to say it a few times in his videos. Jose Rodriguez. That said I think still a trustworthy source :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you have a link to where he discusses ink storage/use?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Generally when asked, I guide users to estimate what they likely will use in one year give or take. Most times, people end up using less than they thought they would thereby keeping/staying nicely in the 2 year ballpark so to speak. If we target two years use, you just know most will overshoot it widely because two years is a long time to estimate useage for a printer. If ink is consumed faster than intially thought, then there is no harm done except to reorder. Holding ink too long has a downside of potential problems....for the sake of saving a few dollars. Since refill friendly printers are not likely to be ever introduced again ( who knows? but surprise me!) we need to take care of this generation of printers.

André

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
No I don’t remember the specific videos perse sorry.

Thanks for all the advice.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for all the advice.
You're welcome.

PS - you just heard from mikling, the owner-operator of Precision Colors, on his recommendation for how people should order his inks.

PPS - From my overflowing file cabinet of "Do As I Say, Not As I Do"... I just cracked open a 9 year old bottle of Precision Colors ink. I won't say it's aged like fine wine but it seems to function fine. The even older ink used before this looked like a Snow-Globe in the bottle. There were no printing defects and the issue was noted incidentally during a refill. See here for more. Will be updating this cautionary tale soon.

André

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tend to be over cautious till I have a better understanding of things but 9 years lol that’s crazy!!