ET-7750 on Baryta Photographique 310gr

Alex Megremis

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-7750
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this specific combo?
I can't seem to get a good print no matter what I do. I'm seeing blotchy shadows and a green shift on shadows and mids.

I'm doing Epson Premium Semigloss for media type, and I've tried the same in Photoshop for profile, as well as a number of other combinations. I've even tried random Epson profiles from the Canson site, as well as just doing any kind of printer-side management I could think of instead.

I get find prints out of whatever-brand normal satin sheets.

These are the experiments, after I wasted 2 sheets with failed full size prints.

20191011_023825.jpg

Any suggestions on this would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Getting shadows and the areas you point are require a precise balance of ink. Are you using a profile made for this paper?
As you have discovered by trial the Baryta has a different response from the other normal photo papers you have tried because they are indeed a totally different type of paper.
To get the results you want, a profile must be built for this specific combination. See if there is another profile on another paper brand's website that is listed for a Baryta paper and the 7750 specifically. You could get lucky that way.
But.......
Profiles are Paper, Ink and Printer Engine ( Model most times) specific...especially for the dark muddy browns you want.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is this Baryta paper suitable for inkjet printing at all ? Are you getting ink puddles on the paper , areas not quickly drying off after print ?
As already pointed out by @mikling it is necessary to get a color profile made , for this paper, for the specific driver settings you are using , and this icm-profile activated in the program you are using for print. This should be the starting point, testing arbitrary profiles for other papers, other printers will not give you any accurate colors. It depends on your country of residence, but there should typically be service companies offering such profiling service, some ink retailers offer it, companies offering color management consulting services, some via Ebay , some inkjet consumables companies offering one free profile if you buy inkjet papers from them , or else

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Ep 3880, Cone HD (yellow oem), Sihl Masterclass Satin Baryta Paper 290.
One of my favorites. Used it just for B/W to start with and was very pleased.
Then I did a go with it for color. After some tweaking I'm more than pleased and surprised!

With i12/i1profiler it was some tricky. (1440 patches)
Using standard multi-reading (M0,M1,M2) and lightning. With D50 for the profile i got a tiny slightly yellow cast.
On a very good calibrated screen i could see the tiny yellow cast when I unticked the "simulate paper" but totally neutral when ticking "simulate paper". Not used to that! But I think the coating of barium sulfate fooled me.
When choosing D50 I think i1Profiler used M1 or M2 readings. As this paper should have a minimum of OBC:s. The
old way of using M0 readings must be the proper way and then use lightning A when creating the profile (The ColorMunki way).

Anyhow - the profile was otherwise great - and when using soft proofing I do not simulate paper for that very paper. By that I see if that tiny, tiny colorcast is there and compensate. (I should do another profile but I'm lazy)

Lesson learned - be careful when choosing "light" making profiles in i1Profiler.
Here I believe the D50 respond was to compensate for the blue spectrum of that light in i1Profiler - as if the paper had loads of OBC:s.

OBC:s are just problems all the way - so when using OBC-free papers you should not making profiles like it was a OBC-paper.
(Note - Baryta might fool the i1profiler? Baryte sulphate has a special "glow". I used baryte papers in the wet darkroom and I find no fading on those old ones - still rich. Now as then paper-base here is "neutral buffered cellulose fibers")

Barytas are great - also for color printing - it's a matter of taste but I get very good shadows and rich colors.
OK - It's satin - but could be more satin in my taste.

Using standard profiles downloaded or Sihls recommendations was no hit!
I strongly recommend to have a custom profile made - at least for that very paper.
My prints are NOT at all as OP:s - but was way out with canned/proposed ICC-profiles.

(By the way - is Sihl selling their papers to other known brands - a fellow of mine using barytas as well was sure it was another known brand when he inspected my Sihl-baryta prints? I do not think Sihl is buying in paper manufactured by others.)

EDIT:

Hey I was "ranting" here. "Normal" stright out of the pocket profiling is under M2 (uv-cut) and illuminant D50. OK - if You buy OBC-free papers.

Further more - I have checked (i1profiler) the measuring results on Sihl/Baryta - The L*a*b* value under M0/D50 are +98.7/-0.2/+2.5 and comparing the response curves to M2 (uv-cut) with the M 0 and M1. One can say the Lab values covers each other. That is - no OBC:s.

As "I was on it" I tested Sihl Masterclass Lustre 300 was a chock Lab 94/0.7/-6.5 (yes -6.5) and I did not like how the response curves was different to M2 under UV-light (M0 and M1). Loaded with OBC:s. Baahhh....have a full roll 17" and a A2-package of that paper. Someone at the photo club will be happy!

END EDIT

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Alex I could mail You three pages of i1profiler colorpatches as "TIFF's" that you print accordingly. Then You send them to me in Sweden ( :clap ) Then I could make an icc-profile for you sent by e-mail. However someone may live closer to you - keeping down postage and handling.
In that case - pm me.

But first tell me what manufacturer and brand of the paper. Are the papers handled according to what the manufacturer instructs. Printing on the right side etc. (My barytas are not easy to see what is the printing side - wet sticking finger test is not easy on 'em)

Last edited: