Error message in Japanese

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I have an MG5220 that I want to use for direct CD printing. I needed to reset the region to something other than the USA. I first tried Europe - still no direct CD printing; it spit the tray out. I tried setting the region to Japan, not thinking about the language. Unfortunately now I'm getting an error message in Japanese and the yellow light flashes 3 times. The flashing light should be a paper jam, but I can't spot any paper jam in either the bottom tray or rear tray. Reseating the trays hasn't helped. I'll upload a shot of the error message in Japanese. Anybody read Japanese and can tell me what this says?
Japanese Error message (Large).JPG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@RWL, how did you go about changing the regional setting, which method did you use, because that can make all the difference...

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
It's a error message saying > No paper present. < I think you can translate it directly from your phone, not sure how though.

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@RWL, how did you go about changing the regional setting, which method did you use, because that can make all the difference...

I used the Canon Service tool 4905 to change the region setting. Because of the blinking yellow light, it won't allow the service tool to make any changes such as returning to an English language region.

Last edited:

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
It's a error message saying > No paper present. < I think you can translate it directly from your phone, not sure how though.

I tried putting a stack of paper in the bottom tray; no change. I then tried putting a stack in the rear tray; no change. I notice one thing I didn't state clearly yesterday. The orange light is on continuously when in normal working mode. In service mode it blinks three times, which is why I thought it was paper related.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@RWL, You have locked up your printer by using the Service tool incorrectly, and now each time your turn it on, it remains unresponsive to any other inputs.

Try unplugging the printer from the wall and PC, leave it overnight and in the morning try plugging it in again and powering on, if that doesn’t work then, the recycle centre is the place to go, it’s had it...

You have created the perfect Fatal error yourself, because these Service Tool Apps. can be destructive as well as helpful...:(

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Over night didn't help. It's going to the recycle center. I would like to save the cartridges from it though. Raising the lid doesn't cause the print head to move to the center. Is there a manual way of moving the head? Just pulling it toward the center isn't working, either with the power on or off. Where is the latch that's keeping the head from being moved?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual has some info on disassembling the printer. It is found here. The download site is ad sponsored so be careful with what you click. See this instruction before download.

The language setting can be changed from the display menu, see the user manual but it will be difficult clicking the proper menu items. I wonder if somebody speaking Japanese owns a such or similar printer and can guide you?

Here is a clip from the online user manual, click to enlarge:

MG5200 user manual.jpg

RWL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Thanks Peter. I downloaded the manual and I got the cartridges out. I was able to get to the home page twice and to the language settings once, but about the time I was scrolled down to where the language change would be, the error message came back on. I had been hoping somebody on the forum would be a Japanese speaker and could translate. Although it's doubtful I can get the printer to print on CDs, if I could get it working to print regularly I'd be able to sell it and get back most of my investment in the cartridges. The printer itself I picked up at a yard sale last summer for $5.

Technician

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iX6850
@ RWL..
I tried a bit of computer trickery on this error message. I captured the screen image and cropped it in Photoshop, then I converted it to monochrome and inverted it to get black characters on a white background. Then I ran it through OCR software to create a text document which I could then submit to an online language translator....phew !
The best I could do was extract certain recognizable words like Paper, Clog, Not Present etc. It seems the printer thinks paper is stuck inside and keeps telling you to extract it, but as that's not the case it looks like it's just developed a fault preventing you from going any further.
I suppose there's not a chance a tiny piece of debris is stuck in there thus it thinks paper is present and stuck ?