Epson WorkForce WF-7620 printing bad photos

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
Hi folks,
I really have a problem, printing good colored (10x15) photos on glossy photo paper with my EPSON WF-7620 (I found on trash and fixed a firmware error but this has nothing to do with my problem). When I use mat paper, the color problem isn't there, but on photo paper I have to play with this dialog. And I played MUCH with it, but the problem with darker (black) areas on my photo are really a mess. Black is not really black but converts to a blueish after some minutes after printing or is blueish immediately. It's also a matter of my viewing angle how I look at my glossy paper. I have compatible glossy paper, some old remains of original glossy EPSON paper, and even on the glossy EPSON paper I got this problem. I think I get the right configuration now but not for every photo this configuration works best. Ah, I forgot to mention, I tried 2 different compatible black inks, but there's not really a difference between them. Has someone also problems with this on his WorkForce printer?

Attachments

• configuration.png
    configuration.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 591

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may look here
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...-be-used-for-photo-printing.10972/#post-92002

The problem is the Durabrite black which is only suitable for matte papers. If you do refill you easily can use a pigment photo black and print onto glossy paper with the matte paper setting. You even could use dye inks as an alternate refill option, but with all those alternate , non standard options you are advised to get icm color profiles made to get the best color out of it. And with all this implemented you can get very good photo prints up to A3, it may print pretty slow but the results would be pretty good.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
As ISF points out, Durabrite black ink is good on matte paper, not so good on glossy. These printers are more targeted at office use. I have found that if you profile it it can do color, on matte paper, pretty well. On glossy paper the blacks are created by using the CMY inks mainly and the use of black here looks pretty bad. The bluish tint you are seeing might, that's might, go away by making and using a custom profile.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you cannot profile away the dark blueish tint of the pseudo-black which you get with the glossy paper setting which does not use the black ink and mixes a black (a kind of dark blue/violet) suing the 3 other inks. Using the matte paper setting with another ink in the black cartridge is the only way to get really good results. This effect and remedy is not limited to this WF-7620 but basically to all 4 color Durabrite printers.

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
Thank you guys for pointing me to the right direction!

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
Holy moly, this matte setting and using the real black ink is worth more than gold !! I think it's a compatible pigment ink I use at the moment, because the surface is water resistant. OK, this was the setting I failed and got it some time by chance and never could replicate this again even hours later and wondered what setting I did where black was real black. THANK YOU!

Last edited:

furziger

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
WorkForce WP-7620
Just want everybody to know that plain paper printings are much better when I set it to letterhead instead of "normal paper". "Normal paper" ist just too bright. I realy want to know why EPSON did such pain for all his costumers that bought this model in the settings. Maybe other models of this series have the same problem. Up to know I even didn't update the firmware, because I read that if you update the firmware, it eventually won't print anymore with compatible cartridges. I will not risk this.