Epson WF-7610 air in printhead - fix?

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
Hello everyone,

I have an Epson Workforce WF-7610 that was developing streaks in colored printouts. Black was coming out okay in the nozzle check.

I bought one of the kits with the fluid and syringe, and injected fluid into all four ports. (Yes, I know, if it ain't broke....). Now, nothing prints on black. I'm guessing air is in the black print head.

I tried injecting a little more fluid into the black port, reinserting the cartridge, and 3 head cleaning cycles. That didn't work. Then I tried putting in a fresh black cart. That didn't work either.

Can someone offer some suggestions to help me resolve the problem? Thanks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
what type of inks/cartridges are you using - refill/3rd party/original ? Did the problem show up suddenly - e.g. after replacing a cartridge ? when you do a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check - do the missing nozzles remain the same from nozzle check to nozzle check or do they change ? Could you please scan and upload a nozzle check here - please crop to the nozzle check print only.

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
what type of inks/cartridges are you using - refill/3rd party/original ? Did the problem show up suddenly - e.g. after replacing a cartridge ? when you do a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check - do the missing nozzles remain the same from nozzle check to nozzle check or do they change ? Could you please scan and upload a nozzle check here - please crop to the nozzle check print only.

Hello,

Thanks for help! Here's the info you requested.

what type of inks/cartridges are you using - refill/3rd party/original ?

Original Epson cartridges

Did the problem show up suddenly - e.g. after replacing a cartridge ?

It showed up after I used a printer cleaning kit - with a hose and syringe - to flush cleaning fluid through the print head.

when you do a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check - do the missing nozzles remain the same from nozzle check to nozzle check or do they change ?

Remains the same

Could you please scan and upload a nozzle check here - please crop to the nozzle check print only.

I'll attempt to attach one here. Note that the black cart is completely missing.

img20180221_07213584.jpg

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You did already most of the typical actions in such situation. If missing nozzles don't move it's most likely not air or a limited ink flow. When using a syringe with the cleaning fluid the first action should be a pulling action , the nozzles are the narrowest sections in the ink flow and pushing any gel-like substances that way may make it more difficult to clear the path. When placing a piece of kitchen paper underneath the printhead you should see whether any cleaning fluid would make its way through the nozzles with such a push/pull action. You may try the WicReset utility which offers not just the head cleaning function but a 'Ink Charge' as well, not for all Epson printers so I don't know whether it's available for your printer; this is a longer running cleaning function which may get expensive with genuine Epson carts and inks. Give it another try, but I don't see really another trick or method at this point.

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
When using a syringe with the cleaning fluid the first action should be a pulling action , the nozzles are the narrowest sections in the ink flow and pushing any gel-like substances that way may make it more difficult to clear the path.

That advice wasn't in the instructional video that came with the cleaning kit; nice to know that when it's too late!

Do you recommend trying again with the syringe, doing a push-pull this time? Before WicReset, that is. (It looks like WicReset supports this printer).

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
try it again, cautiously as a kind of last attempt, WicReset would not do any harm but just spoil some ink.

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
I tried a push-pull with the syringe on the black head. Quite a bit of solvent (mixed with black ink) went through the head to the blotter paper underneath.

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
After a push-pull on black, I reinserted the print cartridge and did about 4 head cleanings. This is what the nozzle check currently looks like. The fourth cleaning didn't help out the black much, if at all.

nozzle_check.png

I haven't tried the WicReset utility yet. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. And I am grateful for your assistance.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Since we have had a recent report of a purge system issue with an Epson printer, you might try flooding the purge pads (the station where the printhead parks) with Original Windex to see if you can establish a standing "puddle" on the pads, put the printer through a cleaning cycle, and see if the flooding disappears from the pads after the cleaning. Then try a nozzle check and report your results...

1. Were you able to build up a standing "puddle" on the pads that lasted a minute?
2. If so, did the "puddle" disappear after a cleaning cycle?
3. Post an image of the resulting nozzle check.

BTW it appears your printhead is indeed firing black nozzles.

Diagramist

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
If I am not using an original Epson cartridge, it must be a counterfeit - I'm pulling the cartridge out of their packaging and it as an Epson logo.

After another two head cleanings, I got it to this point:

nozzle_check_2.png

Which is not ideal, but it is at least functional for utility printing.

I have read elsewhere that it is not good to run the printer through multiple head cleanings successively. I haven't tried the deep cleaning cycle in WicReset yet, because I'm afraid of making it worse.