Epson Stylus Photo R285: any of the refillable cartridges auto-reset chip not resetting any more.

B1r0

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo R285
Hi all,

I own an Epson Stylus Photo R285 that has been superb so far for my little needs.

Recently, the ARC on my refillable cartridges is not resetting any more, and I was looking for advice before I go buy a new set.
None of the 5 cartridges chips resets.
Tried many things including shutting the printer and removing the cable without any of the cartridges in the slots.

I wonder if there is someone that can help me with this before I buy a new set that could not work if it is a problem with the printer.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

r

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Did the driver trigger a firmware update recently ? The ARC chips only reset when the status window tells you that a cartridge is not recognized anymore and you then take it out, fill it up and re-insert it . What does the status monitor indicate to you at this point of time ?

B1r0

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo R285
@inkclick Thanks for the reply.

I forgot I could use the printer's setting dialogue to check the cartridges.
I've been using the printer with Linux for some years and not print much either.
So, I installed windows and the Epson drivers and I started fiddling with the cartridges in and out of the printer.

The first time I turned the printer only the black was showing as not recognized.
Removed it and reinserted, now all the cartridges are not recognized.
Removed all and reinserted, the black again was not recognized.
Done the process again for that one and only the magenta is recognized.
Once more removed the magenta to reset the chip and now, no matter what I do, none is working.

I fear the printer is failing on me, as all the ARC failing almost at the same time would be unusual.

I think I've had the printer and the cartridges for 10 years now.

What do you think?
Should I buy a set of new single use cartridges to see if it works with them, or a brand-new set with the ARC, or just buy a new printer?

Thanks for your help
r

Selection_20210317_121531.png

Selection_20210317_121502.png

Selection_20210317_121445.png

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I rather would recommend you to get a current XP-55 or a L805 depending on your printing volume and availability in your country.

Phill ODonoghue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000
Hi all,

I own an Epson Stylus Photo R285 that has been superb so far for my little needs.

Recently, the ARC on my refillable cartridges is not resetting any more, and I was looking for advice before I go buy a new set.
None of the 5 cartridges chips resets.
Tried many things including shutting the printer and removing the cable without any of the cartridges in the slots.

I wonder if there is someone that can help me with this before I buy a new set that could not work if it is a problem with the printer.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

r
Hi,
Have you checked the battery in the reset device ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is no resetter needed, the reset happens when you re-insert the cartridge into the carriage, but the cartridge must have been reported as 'not available' by the status monitor before a reset can happen, and not at any earlier time. The R285 was the first printer as I remember it doing an automatic firmware update and then blocking older cartridges by manufactruing date code, die R265 did not do that as the predecessor to the R285.

B1r0

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo R285
@Ink stained Fingers
Thanks for the advice.
I gambled and bought 6 new compatible cartridges, the cheapest I could find, and it paid off.
The printer is working:weee.

I suppose, after twelve years, the ARC have reached some sort of hardcoded limit.(?)

Would you recommend me a new set of refillable cartridges or a CISS?
Any of those in aliexpress?

Also, do you know of any toll that I could use to read/write from/to the ARC?
I am a hobbyist in electronics, and I might be able to put together something with an arduino.

Thanks
r

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Those who hacked the chips and created the ARC code have a tool to access the chips but I'm not aware of anything like that available in the public.

There is some hardcoded limit in the chips which relates to the firmware, there is a mfg date coded in the chips, and I remember a situation that I transferred working cartridges from an R265 to an R285 which use the same type , some worked but not all - they had varying mfg date codes spread over 18 months, the R265 didn't care but the R285 refused the older ones.
I don't know whether you would need a CISS, you need to judge it from your overall printing volume. You should get a CISS with a separate reset button for the chips so that you don't need to take out any cartridge for a reset.

B1r0

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Photo R285
Thanks for the help and the prompt replies!