Epson stylus photo 1500w 2 flashing lights

darren crolla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus photo 1500w
Epson stylus photo 1500w 2 flashing red lights ink out and paper/trash can and printhead flying about when i turn it on then a grinding noise, i just purchased this and was told it was perfect could have been damaged in transit as anyone got any clues on a fix.
Thanks darren

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
so it is probably a used printer ? Purchased via Ebay er else? I would try everything to return the unit (via Ebay/Paypal or similar) - it does not work as it was advertised as the reason for return. You didn't order and pay for transport but the seller so only he could claim compensation from the forwarder for the damage if he can prove it at all.

darren crolla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus photo 1500w
so it is probably a used printer ? Purchased via Ebay er else? I would try everything to return the unit (via Ebay/Paypal or similar) - it does not work as it was advertised as the reason for return. You didn't order and pay for transport but the seller so only he could claim compensation from the forwarder for the damage if he can prove it at all.
Correct ebay fingers burnt the thing is the unit looks almost new with gem inks advert says only six month old, so just wondering if there was a easy fix , thanks for your help though

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
First place I would look would be the ribbon cables running into the rear of the printhead and any sensor boards located beyond the printhead that should be reading the timing strip at the back.

The symptoms you describe are ones that used to happen with my old C84 and C86 models when the LED sensor board on the rear of the printhead got disconnected from it's flat cable. The head used to slam to left and right and then error out.

Chances are high that the whole thing is a harder to get to now but that's where I'd be looking given your description.

Good luck!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Just as an addendum to this one... Was reminded by a service tech that the problem might also be the timing strip (the clear strip that runs behind the printhead with the tiny vertical gradients printed on it).

If that has come adrift at either end, damaged or fallen out of the sensor range then the same behaviour can result.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250

Correct.
Most probably the seller was in good faith, but it is not easy to ship a used printer.
If he can prove the printer was packed following the manufacturers instructions, and if it has been sent insured the damage should be compensated.

If you want to ship one think about:
- removing the carts (to reduce weight of printhead)
- block lateral movement of the printhead (with a piece of cardboard or alike as you received it new)
- use original box and place a label TOP (to avoid leaking of inkpads)

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Listen to his words of wisdom, @palombian had first-hand experience of exactly that, it left in good condition and arrived slightly battered.
Used printers don't travel too well...:(

darren crolla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus photo 1500w
Listen to his words of wisdom, @palombian had first-hand experience of exactly that, it left in good condition and arrived slightly battered.
Used printers don't travel too well...:(
Thanks to everyone who commented the printer was returned and i have been refunded, i picked up a epson photo r2400 on ebay the seller dropped it off i have cleaned the printheads and it now works perfectly and i am very impressed with the prints, especially B & W

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Congratulations. If you did want to print B&W from the start, the 1500W should not have been acquired initially. The R2400 can do B&W that the 1500 could only fantasize about. Now there is one caveat. You need to keep using the R2400 on a regular basis to keep it purring. Stopping its use over extended periods will require some maintenance routines to restart printing perfectly.
Also you will want to download SSC reset utility and start searching on how to install an external waste ink tank. Chances are either the machine was reset before or soon will need to be. Just be prepared so if it does, panic is not needed.

darren crolla

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
epson stylus photo 1500w
Thanks again but already bought the maintenance cd so i could do a power flush to unblock the heads didn't work so i bought magic bullett and that did the trick my other printer is a canon pro 100 at the moment i am comparing prints i find that the canon prints a little darker/richer colour, i know that they use different inks but its hard to tell the difference i think..Not Original inks on both printers

Latest posts