Epson Stylus NX420

Randy Sluder

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus NX420
I bought a used Epson Stylus NX420 and when I press the SETUP button, the screen says "Setup Unavailable". I'm not sure the printer has ever been used because it still had blue tape and clear protector over the top. It also seems to have no cartridges, but I can't get to the cartridge bay as its parked to the right. Does anyone know how to reset this printer? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks. Randy

Randy Sluder

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus NX420
a little search with Google etc would get you here

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/nx420_/nx420_bb.pdf

Inserting the cartridges is part of the setup process and is not done upfront.
Before implying that a simple research on Google might fix my problem, you might read my question more carefully... "but I can't get to the cartridge bay as its parked to the right". When the ink carrier is parked to the right, you can't open the damn thing. So if you can show me a link that can fix THAT PROBLEM, I will be greatly obliged.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Why would you want to reset the printer ? Is there any display of an error condition ?
You need to connect the printer to power - shortly - the printhead carriage starts moving - and you pull the power cord and the carriage can be positioned anywhere on the rails.
There is most likely as well a button marked with an ink drop symbol which you can push once the printer is powered up.
'Parked to the right' - that's the normal resting position for the carriage when the printer is not printing, and the carriage is locked so it cannot shift off the cleaning unit underneath.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I bought a used Epson Stylus NX420 and when I press the SETUP button, the screen says "Setup Unavailable". I'm not sure the printer has ever been used because it still had blue tape and clear protector over the top.
If the printer is "used" then it has been set up and used already. Is there any indication of old ink anywhere inside the printer?

If the printer was already "set up" then it makes sense that pressing the Setup button might respond as unavailable. It's already been done. :idunno

Where exactly is the "blue tape and clear protector"? If it on external surfaces of the printer then maybe it was left as a measure to protect the external surface while not interfering with the actual function of printing. The LCD screen on my printer still has the plastic film over it.

A more detailed explanation would help us better understand.

It also seems to have no cartridges, but I can't get to the cartridge bay as its parked to the right.
It appears from the user manual I found with Google demonstrates that there no need for the print head to move in order to access the cartridges. Follow all the instructions in their written order as if you just removed the printer from it's shipping box and it's the first time it's ever been plugged in.

https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/nx420_/nx420_bb.pdf

Lastly, is it possible the printer is broken? Maybe the seller sold you a faulty printer. If you cannot get it working then the seller should refund your money, unless you bought as is.