EPSON resetter chip

griffon

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I have to refill the entire Epson cartridge (ex. for C64) before I reset the chip, or can I just reset the chip without refilling? I want to reset the chip because even if the computer indicates that the cartridge is empty, there's still a lot of ink left in it. I want to reset the chip so I can use the cartidge until the ink is sucked dry. Is that ok?

Thanks,
Griffon

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Griffon - NOT a good idea. The residual ink in the cartridge is there to protect the print head. If you have a chip resetter and are planning to refill, just refill when the chip indicates empty and then reset. It is kind of like the residual amount of gas in your car's gas tank. Refilling your gas tank before it is empty doesn't waste the residual gas. You still only burn as much gas as the car demands. Same with the printer. If you are going to refill anyway, just refill it as you would your car gas tank when it reads empty, even though we know that there is some left in the tank.

I know that this is true for Canon BCI-6 carts. Epsons may be different. I did some refilling of a pre-chip dye based Epson and, as I recall, I had to vacuum the ink and foam out of the cartridge before refilling as the entire cartridge is filled with sp;onge and there is no reservoir like in Canon carts. Since bulk refill inks are so much cheaper than OEM inks, even though you will throw away a few ml. of ink, it is much cheaper than ruining your print head.