Epson Pro 3880 - trying to check one out for local charity

dave_n_s

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
I'd appreciate some help with this puzzle

I'm familiar with higher end photo printers - I have a Canon Pro-1 that is now back working after an issue thanks to TheHat

I volunteer for the thrift store that supports our local hospice (TRU Lafayette, CO), checking out and servicing if necessary the more challenging stuff.

I have a 3880 that's made it to the front of my queue, showing over half in all the inks but PK, which has no bar and four flashing dots in two rows at the bottom of the LCD. The ink dates are mostly 2015, except for PK & MK.

I weighed the PK and compared to C (showing 3/4 full) and got 85g vs 128g, so not an indication issue, correct?

My role is to maximise funding for the hospice on things like this. We sell higher value things on line rather than in the store.

My concern is that we don't know how long this has been out of use, so likely a clogged ink system and buying a replacement PK ink would not get me anywhere.

Is there a way of printing a test page of some sort using maintenance codes while one ink is out?

Other ideas welcome!

Thank you for your time and consideration

In terms of revenue for the hospice, this will raise several hundred dollars if I can demonstrate if it's working, even needing ink.

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
If I understand what you are saying, then yes, the 85g of the PK cart is "empty" and the printer won't run until it's replaced. I just removed an empty cart from my 3800 and it weighs 83 g. There is just a little bit of ink left in the empty carts to insure the cart doesn't run totally empty and introduce air into the lines.

So you would need to replace the PK cart. There are cheaper alternatives from 3rd parties. I have a 3800 and purchased Cone inks from inkjetmall. There's other brands which I have not tried, but I have been happy with Cone inks and their customer service is excellent. Others can direct you to possibly cheaper brands.

Are you aware you can print a Nozzle Check (Manual, not Auto.)? That will show which heads are flowing ink vs. clogged. You might be able to get them unclogged and I've heard from a friend who was successful going that route.

I'm not certain about the flashing dots you describe, but it might be the low ink warning. If you can post a screen shot of the Ink Levels bar graph, it would be clearer.

One last thing is that the 3800 and 3880s had a dreaded problem of the PK ink draining due to issues with the damper assembly. If your printer has that problem, then the printer could still be used with only the MK cart. However, the user should not perform any MK/PK switching. I had that issue with two 3800s I owned. The faulty damper could be repaired by a handyperson (not me).

Good luck with your work... for a good cause.

dave_n_s

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-1
Is there any method of doing a nozzle cleaning with that cartridge empty?

wannaby

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SureColor P800 & 3800
I don't know if there is a workaround to printing a nozzle check if the printer believes at least one cart is empty.

If you can find a helping soul who owns a 3800 or 3880, they could loan you a PK cart. Of course the printer may want to run a cleaning and that would use up some ink from the loaned cart, but they might be OK with that.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of alternatives.