Epson pigment in HP z2100 Photo.. What would happen?

Vogelkop

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 7900
I have a LOT of Epson Ultrachrome HDR ink (700ml cartridges)

I am offered a cheap HP Z2100.

What would happen if I buy refillable cartridges and refill with the Epson ink?

Did anyone (admit) to have tried this?

If it worked. I could perhaps do profiling..?

Tony4597

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Surecolor SC P800
I do not know but do you think that there is a chance that you could end up with an expensive HP Z2100 paperweight :hit.

I might be wrong here but doesn't HP use a thermal type ink that vapourises a bubble through the print head nozzles and Epson uses a Piezoelectric inkjet technology that uses mechanical means to eject ink. I suspect that the ink formulations although both pigment based would need to be quite different to achieve similar results. Therefore you may get strange results if any at all and potentially risk head damage?

Interesting to see if anyone has attempted this though

Last edited:

Vogelkop

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 7900
I do not know but do you think that there is a chance that you could end up with an expensive HP Z2100 paperweight :hit.

I might be wrong here but doesn't HP use a thermal type ink that vapourises a bubble through the print head nozzles and Epson uses a Piezoelectric inkjet technology uses mechanical means to eject ink. I suspect that the ink formulations although both pigment based would need to be quite different to achieve similar results.

Interesting to see if anyone has attempted this though
Yes, I think you are right that they are using two different print head technologies.
But since the print heads on the HP are cheap it is just tempting to see how it would work out..

I guess SOMEONE has tried this.. :)

ccc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP T120
I use an HP Designjet T120 that is made with color dye inks and B & W pigment.. I use pigment inks in all the carts and have done so for well over a year. Zero problems. I took the chance due to cheap print heads and the black already being pigment. I use Qimage and its test sheet scheduler.

Multifacet Digital Print

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Designjet 800
I use an HP Designjet T120 that is made with color dye inks and B & W pigment.. I use pigment inks in all the carts and have done so for well over a year. Zero problems. I took the chance due to cheap print heads and the black already being pigment. I use Qimage and its test sheet scheduler.
this is interesting, can you tell me what inks you use i want to do the same