Epson P800 chip resetter ?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The decoders supposedly still will not work with North American zoned printers.
Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Joe is right.
North America gets treated well by Canon and vice versa by Epson. I doubt Epson will budge.
The 17" North America solution for 17" is coming down the tracks. 1000 it is.
Joe and I will have the juicy bits all uncovered soon.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I thing people didn't take a close enough look at you two photos!
By the way, I did mine n the upper left corner. Lol!
Joe

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
This maybe the answer most owners have been waiting on, but its expensive at $300 a pop to your door, or you could cut your losses and put the money towards a Pro 1000 !...

http://www.equnxin.com/list.asp?id=724

At $300 a pop (or poof! - up in smoke). However, if it works properly, in perpetuity, and is reliable it could be cost effective. Still cheaper than one full set of OEM carts.

I am skeptical, but still sitting on the fence. Unfounded ridicule without any testing, evaluation, or relevant facts is not helpful either. That is the OEM ink warrior's responses to refilling ink cartridges. :(

We should at least be open minded. If is is as bad as we think it will not take long to expose the defects FACTUALLY.

rs

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Joe mentioned a decoder when the firmware in NA surfaced. I had already been in contact with this particular vendor about this. It does not look good. Joe has a particular video where he describes my hypothesis that about Epson intentionally leaking a set of keys to the aftermarket or the method of encryption was very weak for Europe. That the same key can be used in Europe and in NA, indicates that the method is likely similar save for one caveat an ink level memory at the same time.
I remember Europe has a stricter law to the consumer's benefit when it comes to being able to use aftermarket consumables. This means that whatever method Epson employed for creating the chips for OEM keying really should be the same for EU and NA. Indeed OEM carts from EU work in NA as well. This tells you a lot if you analyze the situation carefully.

It is very easy to create an encryption system that would be near impossible/impractical to decrypt even with GPU computers. Processors in printes are quite powerful these days and not much power is needed for decryption anyways. If Epson did do that, that would make it near impossible for the aftermarket to create compatible chips. If they loosened up the encryption then it would be too easy for compatible chips for both EU compliance and NA markets. Thus they needed to find a method of protection that allows EU compliance, stable and easy OEM chip manufacture so that any OEM cart would work yet selective that the key used in EU would not work in NA.

Simple solution....increase the memory buffer in the NVRAM on the MB to include an ink level field. So all accepted keys in the printer would must also be checked against what is retained in memory and if the ink level is higher than what is in memory, it will reject.

This meets pretty much all the requirements that Epson would need. Except that the aftermarket MUST be able to come up with at least ONE set of keys. A very high hurdle because that hurdle must stop the larger NA market at the same time. Again an easy solution. Leak ONE to the aftermarket. Throw them a bone. Hence an intentional leak and this will allow compliance.

Desktops could be done the same way BUT, the howling would be loud because more consumers would be involved. Anyone purchasing a P800 knows that they are purchasing a machine that could be expensive to run. Desktops on the other hand...well remember the backlash against HP and the firmware upgrade on cheap desktops? What corporation wants to go through that episode. How much howling about the P800, other than the small refilling community and even smaller in the segment for high end pigment printers.

Thus I formed the above hypothesis about a leak.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Mikes hypothesis is reasonable given the absence of any facts or information to the contrary.

However, it is still early days and who knows what information will emerge in the future. Could be that the product that is the subject of this thread is a promising start for a solution, or really just an opportunistic scam. If the latter then they are truly incompetent as there are better ways to maximise revenue over the short term before the scam is exposed.

Also in the mix is a US Supreme Court ruling due soon which is supposed to have some impact on legalizing refilling. Not being a Jurist I do not want to spread false information, but is it possible that Epson locking the refilling of the P800 in the US market was a pre-emptive move against a possible SCOTUS decision that would be against their interests? Especially as The Court is traditionally in favour of free enterprise and open competition in the marketplace.

So, plenty of theories. Very little facts. This should change over time.

As a recent US Secretary of Defense famously said, "We don't know what we don't know".

rs

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Mikes hypothesis is reasonable given the absence of any facts or information to the contrary.

However, it is still early days and who knows what information will emerge in the future. Could be that the product that is the subject of this thread is a promising start for a solution, or really just an opportunistic scam. If the latter then they are truly incompetent as there are better ways to maximise revenue over the short term before the scam is exposed.

Also in the mix is a US Supreme Court ruling due soon which is supposed to have some impact on legalizing refilling. Not being a Jurist I do not want to spread false information, but is it possible that Epson locking the refilling of the P800 in the US market was a pre-emptive move against a possible SCOTUS decision that would be against their interests? Especially as The Court is traditionally in favour of free enterprise and open competition in the marketplace.

As a recent US Secretary of Defense famously said, "We don't know what we don't know".

rs
As per Woody Allen" “I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies...
As per Woody Allen" “I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.”
I sent the club a wire stating, “Please accept my Resignation, I don't want to belong to any Club that will accept me as a member”....
There was only one Julius Henry Marx, unfortunately... :(