Epson P600 / P800 front load margin question

bokchoi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 9000 / Pro 9000mk2/ IPF610
Hi everyone, new poster here!

I recently obtained a lightly used P800 and I soon discovered that when loading inflexible media via the front feed, the printer and driver impose 20mm margins for the top and bottom of the image.

Does anyone know a way to override these margins, even at the cost of some image quality? The media I'm using is completely inflexible (aluminum sheets), so rear-feeding is not an option.

Also, can anyone confirm if the P600 has the same limitation? I am unable to find any documentation online that confirms the printable area margins (there isn't any mention in the user's manual for either the P600 and P800 that I have been able to find).

Thanks very much for anyone's help!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does anyone know a way to override these margins
The cause of these stupid margins is the media type you selected, so in an effect you are causing the margins to appear yourself, experiment with your media selection to get the best results, other than the one you use now...

bokchoi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The cause of these stupid margins is the media type you selected, so in an effect you are causing the margins to appear yourself, experiment with your media selection to get the best results, other than the one you use now...

Unfortunately, my use case right now involves a printer that's capable of printing on pre-cut, rigid aluminum sheets; to load them, the only way to load them involves selecting the front feed / poster board option, and the printable area / margins are imposed on this setting.

To do what exactly?

I was hoping to be able to print my images on pre-cut 8x10 sheets with less than 20mm margins on the front and back edges; I previously laid them out with 0.5" margins and printed them on my Pixma Pro 9000 mk1 and mk2 without issue.

I found information searching on "margin" and "borderless" in the P800 manual. :idunno

I looked in the P800 user guide on https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd43251.pdf, and it makes mention of supported borderless paper types and sizes, but it doesn't make mention of the required margins when loading thick paper or posterboard (which is the setting I'm using); I only found out that the 20mm margins existed for front-fed media when I Googled P800 and printable area and found a link at https://files.support.epson.com/doc...cp800/spex_printable_area_printer_scp800.html, but I can't find a similar page for the P600 to confirm if it also requires the same 20mm margins for poster board / thick media.

If anyone can confirm if the P600 also requires 20mm margins for front-fed poster board or thick sheets, that would be great.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I only found out that the 20mm margins existed for front-fed media when I Googled P800 and printable area and found a link at https://files.support.epson.com/doc...cp800/spex_printable_area_printer_scp800.html
Is this what you meant when with your link? In the middle of the page: "Note: You cannot print borderless on poster board."

If so, then same info found in the User Manual of your PDF link on page 196.

The same comment is seen in the P600 User Manual on page 197. :(

bokchoi

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is this what you meant when with your link? In the middle of the page: "Note: You cannot print borderless on poster board."

If so, then same info found in the User Manual of your PDF link on page 196.

The same comment is seen in the P600 User Manual on page 197. :(

Hi Stratman, thanks for pointing that out; I somehow didn't catch that when I read through! It looks like the P600 also has the same limitation for front-fed sheets.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It looks like the P600 also has the same limitation for front-fed sheets.
Obviously the taught of fooling the printer into doing something you want still hasn’t occurred to you, try turning off Detect Paper Size and type in a user custom size bigger than what your intending to print on, a workaround is always possible if your prepared to experiment..