Epson EcoTank 15000 with Durabrite Inks?

printperson

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson EcoTank 15000
I recently ordered an Epson Ecotank ET-15000, for the purpose of creating giclee prints with as much archival quality as possible printing on a smaller scale. Originally I was intent on using third-party pigment inks, but as I did more research (as many of you already likely know), I came to find that these are not to be trusted as "true" pigment inks and are not trustworthy for lightfastness ratings. My question, then, is: should I (could I even?) use the Durabrite pigments (542) that are used on the EcoTank Pro 16600 model? I know these are not as archival as ultrachrome or some other pigments but it seems to be the best in terms of proven lightfastness for what I can acquire. Is this a better course of action than simply buying the 16600 model? The 16650 also exists with a few hundred dollars mark-up and no clear differentiation from its 16600 companion.

At a bit of a loss as I am not 100% sure what the best course of action is here. Don't want to spend $300 more dollars if not necessary but, as an artist with the intention of selling prints-- lightfastness is of utmost importance to me.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer up any advice on how to move forward. I have been scouring the internet for hours and hours and can't seem to find an answer. From the research I have done on this forum, everyone seems to be very friendly and helpful so I am thankful for that in advance :^)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not aware of tests comparing the pigment inks you refer to - e.g. the Durabrite for its fading performance, and be aware that the paper plays an important role as well. I would rather point you to the A3+ pigment printers by Epson or Canon - P700 or Pro300 and stay with the original inks. These printers will give you a much wider choice of papers to choose from than the ET.... office type models can handle in terms of stiffness and thickness.

printperson

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson EcoTank 15000
I'm not aware of tests comparing the pigment inks you refer to - e.g. the Durabrite for its fading performance, and be aware that the paper plays an important role as well. I would rather point you to the A3+ pigment printers by Epson or Canon - P700 or Pro300 and stay with the original inks. These printers will give you a much wider choice of papers to choose from than the ET.... office type models can handle in terms of stiffness and thickness.
Thanks so much for the suggestion. I was initially excited by the potential to have the ink tanks to refill but at the end of the day quality is tantamount. I’m looking now into the Epson P900. I’m not looking forward to returning the printer BUT it’s definitely the right choice. I’ll make sure to do thorough research of the paper as well because I know all too well the dangers of acid and non-archival quality paper. Is there anything else I should be considering with the printing?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is there anything else I should be considering with the printing?
Don't just use the 'standard' paper types - get sample packs from various suppliers to test other paper types and surfaces which might match with your images better than the regular ones