Epson DX4000 Print Problem...

s.romit

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
EPSON DX4000
Hi, my printer has a problem in black line; some missing nozzles always in the same position. I use OEM cartridge and print 2-3 times per month; mostly text page. The problem started about two months ago, after a period of inactivity.
After reading some threads, i tried some solutions:
-paper towel with window cleaner (windex is not available in my country)
-cleaned cap station
-pull and push window cleaner in print head.
The result was a little improvement.

Now I do not know what to do; to clarify the problem I've attached a nozzle check and a printed example of a black rectangle.

A question: for this problem, I have to open a new thread on epson printer forum?

Thanks Sergio

Attachments

• IMG_20170430_161114521.jpg
    IMG_20170430_161114521.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20170430_161426331.jpg
    IMG_20170430_161426331.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 264

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You did already all of the necessary cleaning actions, low and infrequent usage of a pigment ink printer is a typical cause for such clogging problems. You may do the soaking of the printhead with the window cleaner underneath overnight and may add a small amount of ammonia to the cleaner which is an active ingredient in Windex. I hope that some other member here can help you with more tips. You are right, that the number of missing nozzles already such that printouts suffer visibly. You may use a higher quality setting and select matte/inkjet paper which prints with more passes - which regrettably slows down the printing speed quite a lot.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The only thing that can be attempted at this point is to fill a printer cartridge with the suggested window cleaner and then proceed to perform a couple head cleans and each day perform a nozzle check and then a head clean and see if there is further improvement. After each attempt. let the printer sit idle for at least 24 hours before rechecking. You can try tinting the cleaner mixture with some dye ink to determine nozzle check results. This can be a tedious process but there is nothing else left to try and nothing to lose. Otherwise you are now left to printing all documents with media selected as a Photo Paper.

With the frequency of printing that you do, a replacement Epson printer should definitely not be on your list. You will be better served using a Canon or HP with a thermal printhead. These are ideal for low use or sporadic use scenarios. If you print regularly at least once per week or more then an Epson could be a consideration.