Epson Artisan 810 Print head problem.

freqz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Epson Artisan 810 with a ciss.

Black started printing spotty, so I ran a nozzle check and the Black only is showing up with broken bands on the paper.

Tried a few head cleans and the bands more around but are pretty much still there.

Pulled the print head off and soaked it in a nice solution of very warm windex. Put everything back together and still the exact same results. All colors check good but the black is still missing bands ( Or lines, whatever you want to call them )

On other printers I've had I've been very successful in pushing a very warm solution of windex through the print head through the spikes.

However, no matter what I try I cannot get any color to take any cleaning solution.

What other options am I left with here to really get this thing clean and back running again.

For the nozzle check I'd say I'm missing about 25% of the bands or lines or whatever you want to call 'em

Thanks.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Are you using dye or pigment ink in the ciss?

Wayne

freqz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ink would be a Dye based from precision colors. I'm running the same ink on a Artisan 835 without any issues.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Check the damper for black to check if you have lost your priming to it. If you have you will have to reprime it with a syringe.
I have a similar CISS for my Artisan 725 from Precision Colors w/o a problem.

freqz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It's getting ink. I still have the orig. Epson inks and it's still doing the exact same thing. I wanted to rule out any issue with the ciss.

freqz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
No one with any other suggestions ??

thetintguys

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
buy a set of ink cartidges with the arc and cleaning solution and print using the black one and see what happens

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I am trying to establish what the picture is.

Are nozzle checks after nozzle checks identical with the same missing band in the exact spots? if this is the case, then we have physical blockage. If it is jumping around, we have air issues.

You pulled the printhead and soaked it..... On the Artisan it has a remote printhead. Did you disassemble the head assembly?

Then what I am also trying to picture is what is meant by "However, no matter what I try I cannot get any color to take any cleaning solution." Can you describe what is being done here?

Sometimes, users will report a similar issue when they did not remove the vent plug after they installed their CISS. So no air can replace the ink that wants to come out. I just want to make sure that this had been done. Also even if it had been done, and you installed the air filters on the tanks, did you by any chance get ink on the air filters. Ink on the air filter will have the same effect as a solid plug. let's check those points as well.

Then I read that you put in Epson original carts and the same exact thing is happening.. That is, the black is giving random patterns on the nozzle check. If this is in fact the case, then it appears that some seal in the tubing line or somewhere is allowing air to infiltrate and enter the ink line. This seal happens at any connection or even in the printhead itself as the printhead is laminated with different layers and has seals.

shpitz461

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100
mikling said:
Then I read that you put in Epson original carts and the same exact thing is happening.. That is, the black is giving random patterns on the nozzle check. If this is in fact the case, then it appears that some seal in the tubing line or somewhere is allowing air to infiltrate and enter the ink line. This seal happens at any connection or even in the printhead itself as the printhead is laminated with different layers and has seals.
Mikling, I'm experiencing a similar issue with my black. Mine is showing a pattern, see below:

i.imgur.com/Uv1FT.gif

Any idea what can be the culprit? i've flushed and primed my CISS several times, the only part I didn't touch is from the cartridges dock to the printhead.

Thanks!

freqz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I unscrewed the screws that hold the printhead down and with a shallow dish place the bottom of the printhead in a warmed solution.

As so the part about not being able to push solution to the head itself. After pulling all ink cart's out, I had a small hose that fit perfectly tight around the stem where the ink goes from the cart to the printer. I tried on each one to gently push warmed solution and not one would take a drop.

It would still print basically just like the other person who posted a picture.

However most recently it's been getting worse, and I've ( Last night and today so far ) had some empty cart's come in, which I've been running cleanings and solid color's to hopefully clean everything up.

I just put real ink cart's back in and I'm trying to get the ink to flow now.

I know I have to fill the cart's 2x with solution to push all the color out till I was getting just a wet paper printing out.

Now the stupid printer is telling me my waste pads are nearing the end of life. GIVE ME A BREAK !!