Epson 510dn 0x96 error

LucaMolnar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 510dn
Hi guys,

I keep getting an 0x96 error message on my Epson 510dn. The printer just says that I have to restart it....I restarted it again and again, but nothing happens.
I switched to sublimation ink earlier today, the printer didn't pick it up at all, but kept printing 'white' pages. I kept trying and that's when I started getting the error message.

I hope you can help me, I'm really worried.

Luca

LucaMolnar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 510dn
I couldn't find anything about the error code 0x96 in the document :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual has a list of fatal errors starting at page 48. Error 96 is mentioned on page 51. The error 96 means: "SHK error. AID does not work normally. Broken AID Board."

AID might mean "Automatic Ink Detection" or something similar. Page 26 has info about AID settings and page 59 also has some info about AID and the ink system.

I googled "Epson error 0x96" and found a couple of Russian sites. Here or in English, note post #4. and here or in English, note post #12.

As the error seems to be related to the ink system and started after the change to the sublimation inks, I think these inks could be the cause of the problem.

So what is sublimation ink?, and is it suitable for the printer?, which I think uses either pigment or dye ink. Did you refill the original Epson cartridges with the new ink or use compatible cartridges? Do you have a link to the sublimation ink and if you use compatible cartridges also a link to these cartridges?

Maybe this info will help some of the Epson experts tell if the use of these inks is a good idea or not.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I am aware of this error it happens when using refillable cartriges or bad aftermarket cartriges and you dont prime them well you get air trapped into the system and the pressurization wont work so you get a Error to prevent any additinal damage to the printhead or the pressure pump and of curse to prohbit aftermarket stuff

service adjustment software reset to factory setting flush the machine with refillables and cleaning solution
then flush them with pure subli inks should work fine the business series have the same printhead as the 3800/3880 and for a A4/Letter size printer that astonishing fast

with rip software you can even use roll paper to print
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGj75ZQULLs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3VN1LgYwUw

its basically a "beast" with a DX7 printhead but major flaws in the design and maintenance capabilitys you have to take apart TOO Much parts to simply clean the paperpath rollers eject feed and the ink system itself also the cleaning assembly inlcluding the wiper does require alot of maintenane if you print bulk with this beast.

they are NOT very favorable for subli printing since you need oem cartrige chips (just like the 3800/3880) and the machine itself is expensive no comparison to the WorkForce Pro Series

I repaired like ~5 of these businiess modells, clients only printed with oem and the automatic cleaning cycles are realy waste-hogs. you need for daily business at least two waste ink tanks or have a resetter plus alot of towel paper its much smaller in capacity as the 3800/3880 pro and ~5 cleaning cycles will get the chip almost to 60% crazy

beside its very durable very fast duplex printing
i have one client how runs them as a bundle of 12!! machines with at least 5 spares in stock all with refillable options

now after we discussed he is switching over to the new epson precisioncore series Workforce Pro WF-5110DW it cost ONLY 135€ in germany with rated 20 pages per min
almost half the speed but he tried it with just two printers and its crazy fast with the new Workforce Pro Line aswell

Last edited: