Epson 3880 after one year. Report and Questions

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
My Epson 3880 is NOW 12 months old and coming out of warranty. I purchased it on a closeout deal from a local Epson dealer who was keen to make space for the new and supposedly improved P800 line.

If you are interested in the new P800 here is a video showing the features:
https://luminous-landscape.com/epson-p800-video-introduction/

The 3880 purchase was predicated on the fact that to be able to afford any serious printing I would have to refill, and towards that end I sought the advice of our esteemed colleague and advisor in all things refilling, "Mikling".

To my surprise, and completely selflessly, he advised refilling OEM carts with harvested OEM inks.

I had no idea where to start finding out how to do that, but a quick search soon turned up another stalwart and doyen of the PK community, our own JToolman who has a series of videos illustrating a procedure he developed for modifying and refilling the OEM carts. Without that video I would not have been able to succeed with the refilling. They are superbly produced and explain in the required detail all the necessary steps, and the reasoning behind the procedures. They are easily found on Youtube with a Google search. Incidentally search on his name - he has a multitude of other videos covering many refilling and home printing activities you may find informative.

Anyway, long story short (trying not to ramble). To date I have 4 refilled carts operating perfectly thanks to Joe's videos, and helpful advice from Mikling. I am very impressed with the printer, especially printing black and white through the included Epson proprietary black and white driver.

It also illustrates that the Canon Pro100 is a great printer and on some papers/subjects the difference is imperceptible. For approximately 30% of the Epson price it holds it's own in all areas with ink permanence being the big difference.

I am currently making some step wedges to objectively compare the black and white characteristics of both printers. If anybody is interested will report the result in a few days.

I have a few questions regarding the foibles of purchasing Epson inks on eBay. I will write them in another message later to try and keep things tidy.

rs

ps: The above is my personal opinion. Your mileage may vary and you are free to disagree.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you Roy for been so forthright and honest, I am sure both Mike and Jose will appreciate the accolades you have bestowed upon them..
PrinterKnowledge.com 1, other print forums nil..:thumbsup

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
"The Hat" off again!

We fight for our printers - those left to tamper!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Now here's a thing....

Seems to be new driver from Epson for the 3880. See screen grab below from the Epson website.

HOWEVER, I am very wary of a driver issued on April 1st.

Anybody have any info about this driver?

My current driver is V6.6, so if genuine this is a small incremental upgrade.

This printer is a discontinued product so it almost begs the question - Why bother?

rs

Epson Driver.JPG

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually I am using the 6.62 version quite awhile ago, no problems so far, even with refillable cartridges.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I did not, never haha. Only an upgrade of the printer driver. I stay away from firmware upgrades.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually I am using the 6.62 version quite awhile ago, no problems so far, even with refillable cartridges.

Good to know. Based on your comment I will give it a try.

I did see a couple of reports on other forums stating it includes an increased number of paper profiles including metallic papers. A grade I have had success with using dye inks, but less so with the 3880 pigments inks.

rs