Epson 3800 for gloss only? 3880 same cartridges as 3800?

Jorginho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800
So I am probably buying a used 3880. I have 2 3800 Pro's and cannot get them to function. More on that in the end and only FWIW.

I wondered if I could use one f the 3800s which has an issue with no longer steadily draining away ink on the right side of the purge pad for overglossing prints made on the 3880? In reallife it seems magenta is permanently semi blocked at the exact same nozzles. Whatever I do (ammonia with towel under printhead, Apothekers solution in a cartridge and flushing it thoroughly through) it doesn't change one iota.

Using fluid on the pads....yes at some point it flows through into the maintenance cartrdige. One cleaning cycle later it is clogged for hours and then the ammonia flows through time and time again. But the biggest problem is that the capping station leads to some blacks strikes on the prints...

Anyways: suppose each and every cartrdige in the 3800 was filled with Precision COlors gloss. Regardless of the 3800 becoming good again...Is it a good thing to do? Can you do that or will this gloss not work with 3800 cartridges?

I have ARC carts which works splendidly on the 3800. Can I just use them on the 3880. Are these identical architecture or do I need new ones. Also do I need to insert 3880 chips for all of them or just for vivid magenta and vivid cyan?

----------------------------------------------------------

So the first 3800 Pro problem is clear. I am thinking of binding off the tubes below the pad, put in some ammonia with isopropyl alcohol and preventing it flowing through the tiny hole it creates ( I theorise) so it remains there and really work on the clog and getting out more gunk than just a tiny amount enough to let things flow through...

Second one: air has come into the tubes big times. Now I used the maintenance program and tried a Initial Ink Charge time and time and time again...But nothing comes through....This all happened after I tried cleaning cartridges and I guess it was out of fluid so...yeah..I made a stupid mistake but a bit unsure..

As I said: FWIW.

Thx for any thoughts on the gloss etc!!

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I have ARC carts which works splendidly on the 3800. Can I just use them on the 3880. Are these identical architecture or do I need new ones. Also do I need to insert 3880 chips for all of them or just for vivid magenta and vivid cyan?

I do not have personal knowledge of using 3800 ARC chips in the 3880, but when using OEM carts with OEM chips it seems you have to make a simple modification to the 3800 cart to fit into the 3880.

My knowledge is based on a recent Youtube video by that paragon of 3800/3880 knowledge Jose Rodriguez.

If you need further information suggest you do a Youtube search on "Jose Rogriguez Printers"

I am pretty sure it was a recent video, so if you search the responses in date sequence it should be near the top. He also fields questions about his videos if you need further clarification or haver additional questions.

rs

Jorginho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro 3800
Hi,

Thx for you response. Yes I know Joe (Toolman) and have watched loads of his videos. I also looked at ebay and saw they sell these carts (which I have) as 3800-3880 carts and you cannot chose. I guess the chips you use must be from 3880 which won't be a problem. We'll see. Can get 3880 from a company in good condition for 400 euro. Okey I could get P800 too but with that fraud in the USA going on with them blocking customers out I am first of all not willing to spend too much on Epson (or Canon) for that matter and who knows what happens in the future with out European P800s Surecolors?

Wonder if there isn't some company that can go for a crowd fund to make their/our own printers and use the inks available...May be difficult but there are such camera company startups which use I think mFT sensors for instance. I believe Philip Bloom is involved in one of these so why not for printing....