Epson 1500w B&W profiling

GauffDeLieche

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500w
Hi,

I try to be serious with my profiling in order to avoid future headaches... So I read a lot before receiving my new Epson 1500w printer.

Prior profiling the printer I profiled my screens (Samsung SynchMaster P2270 & 203B) targeting a 5800K, 100cd/m² white point using ColorEye Display software and a Datacolor Spyder3 Express that I've found on the second hand market.. Now they quite match.

So I'm busy profiling it using a Datacolor Spyder3Print (also found on the second hand market, I like to reuse and pay less :) ).

I printed the High quality with greys EZ target on Epson Premium Semi-gloss sheets using the original Epson ink (disabling all enhancements and Epson driver ICC profile set to "none") and I measured it twice consciously. My profile is an average of both measurements.

As a first test I tried to print a B&W picture using my profile in Lightroom and as always it is not neutral. I paid attention to disable all enhancements and used the Epson driver ICC profile set to "none".

I've read the "plain paper" trick (http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm) and I gave a try. Indeed this is neutral but a bit too light.

I wonder whether I should print a Datacolor target using these settings and try to profile it?
Unfortunately I don't see a 100% B&W target in the Datacolor SpyderPrint software.
Is that worth printing a full color target and profile it in order to use it only with B&W pictures?

Anyone already tried it?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Hi,

I try to be serious with my profiling in order to avoid future headaches...

Hi GauffDeLieche, You have covered a lot of issues in you post. There will no doubt be differences of opinion on the best solutions. @pharmacist will be a good advisor on the Epson profiling.

You say As a first test I tried to print a B&W picture using my profile in Lightroom. Are you getting the same problems with B&W images when just using the printer without your profile i.e just Epson settings?

I also started my profiling using Spyder 3 and as others have found, there is often difficulty in obtaining neutral greys.

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Hi,
As a first test I tried to print a B&W picture using my profile in Lightroom and as always it is not neutral. I paid attention to disable all enhancements and used the Epson driver ICC profile set to "none".
In what way is it not neutral? The dye inks used in the 1400/1500 tend to look a bit red in tungsten light. If this is what you are seeing then there's not much you can do to correct it. If the prints are not neutral in daylight then there may be a problem with your profile.
I've read the "plain paper" trick (http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm) and I gave a try. Indeed this is neutral but a bit too light.
If you are happy that it's not too grainy then you could just add a curves adjustment before you print. This would be the same for all images so is not a big problem. However, some people find the "black only" method is far too grainy on anything except textured watercolour paper. Your choice entirely.
I wonder whether I should print a Datacolor target using these settings and try to profile it?
Unfortunately I don't see a 100% B&W target in the Datacolor SpyderPrint software.
Is that worth printing a full color target and profile it in order to use it only with B&W pictures?

Anyone already tried it?
You cannot generate a printer profile from a pure B&W target. Printer profiles deal with colour, and as far as profiles are concerned, grey is just another colour. With a good (colour) profile you should get neutral greys, but, for your printer, maybe only with the right illuminant.

GauffDeLieche

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500w
Are you getting the same problems with B&W images when just using the printer without your profile i.e just Epson settings?

Before profiling I gave a test using the paper matching Epson profile and the result was far too light / contrasted and greenish.
I could post the result once at home.

GauffDeLieche

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500w
In what way is it not neutral? The dye inks used in the 1400/1500 tend to look a bit red in tungsten light. If this is what you are seeing then there's not much you can do to correct it. If the prints are not neutral in daylight then there may be a problem with your profile.

I only looked at the picture in the room where the printer is located. It's a relatively small room illuminated by 2x58W 840 fluorescent lamps. So it is quite bright.

In order to be able to have a good soft proof on screen, I tried to match the picture illumination and the picture on computer screen using this method:
I took my camera and I used its metering capacity to achieve the same illumination on the print and on the computer screen.
I set the camera to A mode and tried to have the same speed for both.

The prints are a bit too green and a bit too dark.

Here are some prints (picture by my camera phone):
WB1.jpg
- Up: Epson Premium semi glossy , B&W trick, : neutral, a bit too light and granular
- Left: plain paper, B&W trick, gamma 1.8: neutral, a bit too light and granular
- Right: Epson Premium semi glossy, Datacolor profile: greenish, a bit too dark, nice tones

GauffDeLieche

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500w
If you are happy that it's not too grainy then you could just add a curves adjustment before you print. This would be the same for all images so is not a big problem. However, some people find the "black only" method is far too grainy on anything except textured watercolour paper. Your choice entirely.

It is a bit too grainy form me indeed.
But your adjustment idea sounds good to me. Perhaps using the datacolor profile,adjust the green color and make it a bit lighter?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Fluorescent lamps have an uneven light spectrum, so make your judgements in daylight.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000