Epson 1430 - I swapped Cyan and Magenta accidentally

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Am using IJM carts loaded with various mixtures of Carbon ink. Everything was running along smoothly until I got to carts 5 and 6 position, ie Magenta and Cyan, left to right. At this point I must have gotten careless - I loaded these carts in reverse order, ie Cyan and Magenta, left to right. Now the paper eject/trash can button (is there a simpler name for it?) is lit, and I tried to run a nozzle check but the paper sails on through without printing. I tried a few things, like unplugging the power cord to be able to manually move the cart.

I've loaded many inksets over the years, with never anything like this. My fear is that I may have ruined the circuitry somehow or the mother board. I hope it's something simple. I do have three brand new empty carts - I ordered the 7 cart set thinking I might need a spare cart at some time. And I know how to remove and reseat chips.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Well, folks, good news. I got it working. I ran a simple sequence over and over, improving a little bit at a time.

the sequence:

load paper
run paper
it sails through without printing
LED turns on (the one for stopping a print job)
reload paper
press the LED, it lights up
run paper, it goes out
repeat sequence as often as needed

I'm afraid that's the best I can relate. My steps are not guaranteed. Anyway, the printer was not damaged. I may have polluted my setup by using the carbon ink cyan dilution in the magenta position and magenta dilution in the cyan slot, but I can run a more complete test sheet to determine that.... then discard those prints and fill up my two brand new refillables in their proper places.

Whew. Learned my lesson all right. Don't get cocky when loading carts, they'll getcha.

p