Epson 1430 firmware versions

glasseye

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 9800
New here, long time Epson user, including several CIS systems.

Currently running a 9800 with pigment inks and refillable carts.

Considering purchasing an Epson 1430 running the same brand pigment inks. There are advantages for me to standardize both ink and media across the two printers.

I'm worried about Epson having blocked refillable cart use via recent firmware changes. Assuming the worst (ie that a brand new 1430 will have these firmware changes implemented), will I be able to revert the 1430 firmware to an earlier, non-blocking version?

Thanks for any advice.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
assume for the 1430 that non-Epson cartridges are not generally blocked. The protection against those has been much more sophisticated with the latest printer models like the P400, P600, P800 for which refillable cartridges took a long time to develop. Epson cartridges are coded for a long time with a mfg date code, and firmware updates are most likely blocking older date codes outside a time window which frequently happens when you use refill cartridges - for years, the date code is aging, and then Epon sneaks a firmware update onto your printer which suddenly renders the previously working cartridges now as useless - out of date. That's the reason to prevent firmware updates. You are asked during the driver installation whether you want to participate in some customer satisfaction program, don't activate that option, and you have the option in the driver to disable firmware/driver updates. There is as well a separate update program when you install Epson software from the CD, you rather can install the driver only from the internet without all the additional Epson stuff. So if you start with working refill cartridges or a CISS with similar chips on a new 1430 you should be fine. The WicReset software allows a firmware downgrade for some Epson printers, against a charge, the software itself is free to read the printer status information and the capability for a firmware downgrade.
But if you get refill cartridges from a supplier which don't work from the beginning just return them.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I purchased a used EPSON 1400 printer which was working just fine for 6-8 months
Piggybacking onto a 5 year old thread, especially one that has zero to do with your issues is not advisable.

You already started a new thread for you issues. What you do not want are some responses here and other responses on your new thread. Please delete your post here.

Latest posts