Empty Cart Installed - Do I have a Problem?

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Last week I received my new, (Epson refurbished), P400, plus I ordered a set of refillable carts and ink from Precision Color. Yesterday while I was away, my wife made several prints when the GO low ink indicator came on. Not knowing about the empty refillable carts, she proceeded to replace the original Epson cart with a empty PC cart, thinking that it was a regular cart that was full. She then made three or four additional prints with an empty GO cart.

I assume that there is air in the system, but I do not know how to proceed. Do I remove, fill, and reinstall the GO cart? Or do I need to take other steps to make sure that I don't create any problems.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
A P400 is, thankfully, not one of the CIS equipped models (eg: R3000) so you should be ok. Just as a note the latter type would have taken a big ole' gulp of air into the ink feeding tubes and that would have been a royal pain to flush out... but as I said, the P400 is not built that way, so minimal issues.

Now is definitely the time to remove, fill and reinstall the empty cart though and run a single head clean...

It may take a little time for any foam/air to purge but pretty sure it'll live...

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks websnail, I was hoping that there were no major problems and I'm feeling a little more at ease now. I'll get around to this tomorrow.

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Now is definitely the time to remove, fill and reinstall the empty cart though and run a single head clean...

Well you were spot on, remove, fill, reinstall, head cleaning, that was exactly what I did and I am back in business. It did need the one head cleaning as the nozzle check showed the GO was not spraying a full pattern. Lesson learned for both me and my wife!!!