Ecotank vs Expressions

Bela

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5051
I need some help please!
I do illustrations and currently have several Pixmas and I have been told Epson is a great make for illustrations because of the colour output.

I don’t need any extras, just need the printer to print well (pref up to 300/350gsm)
I’m sadly on a budget of £250is

I have been looking at several Ecotanks - the removal of cartridges seems appealing and been told their colours print well.

ET2710, 2720 or 2726

however, someone had thrown another model in because they do similar type business as me and they have suggested an Epson Expression XP-970

has anyone tried any of these models or can give advice on why they think would be a better fit for my business - I’m not seeing much difference between the ecotanks and as far as I can see, Xp is a photo printer

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I don’t need any extras, just need the printer to print well (pref up to 300/350gsm)
What type of paper do you intend to use - specific inkjet papers or general purpose cartons ?

I'm afraid that a printer like the ET2710 may not handle such 300/350gr paper reliably - that's getting out of spec and you get paper feed problems.

I'm not clear about your requirements for the printing quality and what you are intending to do with the printouts - sale - private use - framed or placed into albums and what your expectations are in terms of longevity. Are you currently using another printer you want to replace ?
If you are interested into a printer with attached ink tanks you may look for an Epson L805 which is a photo printer for A4 and would handle the 300/350gr papers more reliably, but this printer is not available in all Epson business regions, but you may get it via Amazon.

Last edited:

Bela

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5051
Thank
What type of paper do you intend to use - specific inkjet papers or general purpose cartons ?

I'm afraid that a printer like the ET2710 may not handle such 300/350gr paper reliably - that's getting out of spec and you get paper feed problems.

I'm not clear about your requirements for the printing quality and what you are intending to do with the printouts - sale - private use - framed or placed into albums and what your expectations are in terms of longevity. Are you currently using another printer you want to replace ?
If you are interested into a printer with attached ink tanks you may look for an Epson L805 which is a photo printer for A4 and would handle the 300/350gr papers more reliably, but this printer is not available in all Epson business regions, but you may get it via Amazon
Thanks so much for the reply.
The types of paper/cardstock I use are between 250gsm-350gsm mainly soft touch/satin finish card for my prints.
It is for a business. I’ve been blessed with some beginner pixma’s (IX6850 and 3 TS5051) which have lasted well. I maybe print around 100 prints a month between trials and experiments.

as for “colour output”. I have found some printers - mainly HP to have quite muted colours. They seem rather dull when printing.
I ran tests between a few HPs - Envy, Inkjet etc against the current canons I have and even tinkering with settings, the colours canon print out are much brighter and colourful
I’m looking for something which would be better for prints - as they are illustrations, the colours are more brighter.

Im not sure if a “photo printer” like expressions or an ecotank would be better.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please be aware that your choice of papers makes a big difference how much color saturation you'll get, you need specific papers with an inkjet coating to deliver a good and colorful print. There is a wide range of inkjet papers on the market - a wide range of weights and surfaces from high gloss to silk/satin/lustre/semimatt to matt, and even more in the (more expensive) category of Fine Art papers, search for 'Fine Art Inkjet' for some suppliers in your country, and all these papers need to be usable with inkjet printers - 'standard' paper/cardstock will not deliver you the most pleasing results.