Easy Printer Profiling?

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I recently filled my Canon printer with new 3rd party ink.
I really like the results overall. I have printed a couple of test photos with the original Canon Cli-521 ink and now I printed one of the photos with the new ink. The photo is great but compared to the original ink is a little bluish instead of purple in the sky area.

My question is - can I somehow tell the printer to use 1 point more magenta or something. I suppose that has to do something with color profiles but I'm new to printing. I just want to tell the printer to use a little more magenta. Is there an easy way to do it?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Blueiced,

what type of refill ink are you using ? Keep in mind It will take a time to flush away/wash out all the original ink before you will get a stable colour shift. Then you can tweak the colour bars in the printer setup window to increase the amount of magenta.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Blueiced said:
...snip... can I somehow tell the printer to use 1 point more magenta or something. I suppose that has to do something with color profiles but I'm new to printing. I just want to tell the printer to use a little more magenta. Is there an easy way to do it?
You can obviously make simple color adjustments within your printer's driver, but if you are fussy about getting the color right across the entire range of colors, you will probably want to purchase a custom printer profile for your ink/paper/printer combination. This link discusses how to use such profiles in Canon printers.

Here is one of many businesses that sell custom profiles, as do a few members of this forum.

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@ pharmacist - I used InkTec ( http://inktec.com/ ) new inks for Cli-521. The colors are great actually (I'm a newbie but seem pretty much almost exactly the same as original). The colors are almost flushed I think, I was using the old colours untill almost dry in the tank area, and the new quickly saturated in the sponge. And I can't even tell because they are exactly the same color.

@ msmart - 100x for the pdf link - I looked over and over the settings in Control Panel but I didn't see the Color Adjustment button. Now with the pdf guide I saw it :oops: :D - and now will put a little more magenta and try again.

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK I just tried adding more magenta (+10 and +30 on the scale in the drivers) but Canon's printing software Easy-PhotoPrint EX was already running and I thought of that only after printing 2 more samples of a photo. They look the same as if I haven't changed magenta at all. So I will have to try again by running the printing software after I change driver settings.

I scanned the original canon print and inktec (the paper is the same).
Can you look at the scans and tell me am I right that the Magenta is less or is it another color that I'm missing (cyan, yellow)?

2ew2p28.jpg